A plant that has arrived in my garden

• 1 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
A plant that has arrived in my garden
« on: May 22, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »
A couple of years ago I bought a plant of Salvia nana. It disappeared below ground when the winter came but never came back up. Then I noticed some  buds poking through the soil in a pot I had forgotten about. Was it to be the long-lost salvia? At first I was hopeful but as the plant developed I was less so, I imagine now that it is in flower that it  is Scrophularia nodosa?

I did a search on the forum and, surprise, the name does crop up - as a suggestion for "What is this No 42". But that thread ends in mid-air, with no  solution (or so it seems). Does anybody recognise this plant?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Seeds sold as Salvia jurisicii - any idea what it might really be?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
The plant is now in its 3rd summer after having been sown. It has a basal rosette of leaves in winter, thick woody roots and has added one rosette for each year. Rosettes have now disappeared and there were 3 spindly stems as seen in the photo. "Were" rather than "are" as I cut one off to photograph it. Not the most exciting of plants but I am curious to know what it is. It self-seeds.

Looks like a job for a wild flower expert :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.