Fritillaria uva-vulpis?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:24:00 AM »
This plant has intrigued me over the last few years. I never could quite work out what was in the pot. Every spring these paddle-shaped leaves appeared. This year, finally, a flower. I have no idea where the plant came from but I will get it potted up better and see what happens next year. I don't recall ever having bought Fritillaria uva-vulpis bulbs but, unless anybody tells me otherwise, I think that is what it is.

Of course, she who wants to be my new friend, had to get in on the act!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:20 AM »
Probably came from me David - the bulbs multiply rapidly and are very tenacious. I find them everywhere in the garden and in pots of plants I prepare for giving away etc.
However they are very attractive I think and not to be regarded as a problem :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

Re: Fritillaria uva-vulpis?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:08:51 PM »
The flower looks good  and so does the cat. Very unusual  colour(the cat). She will keep you company.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.