RAIN - at last!

• 17 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
RAIN - at last!
« on: August 29, 2012, 06:14:46 AM »
The weather thread does not seem to have had any postings for a long time and so after the warning and suggestion that it might be better to start a new topic that is what, rightly or wrongly, I am doing. :-\
On Sunday we had 30mm of rain, the first since June. Already many things in the garden are looking perkier although it is too soon to know how many fatalities I have suffered. It is nice to be able to get out and do a bit of tidying up though and feel the soil between my fingers again. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

Re: RAIN - at last!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:24:21 AM »
Oh Carol!, we too have had the most amazing rain, 36mm on Sunday. Beautiful soft strong rain for about 3 hours  Since January we have had about virtually nothing in our immediate area. This is very unusual and very bad for us. Our weather is extremely localised.  Most other people in the wider area did not receive anything like we did but received much more during the year. The ground is still damp and I cannot believe the amount of flowers. Russelia looks wonderful in just two days and the hibiscus have put on an extra large showings! I see some Muscari peeping through (I don't know if this is too early, I hope not. It's very exciting to see the changes in the garden, but we do need more rain....
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:06:03 AM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:51 AM »
Now don't be greedy Pamela, have you not been following the posts about envy? ;D Three hours of good rain as you described it is worth it's weight in gold. We had a storm and the ground was so dry that a lot just ran off to the lowest points. This was most apparent on our approach road that is just a "white road" as they call them in Italy, ie just a dusty track top dressed with gravel and quite steep and twisty. Tiny rivers made deep fissures as the water cascaded down taking the gravel with it and depositing it in uneven piles all over the place. However I am trying to be philosophical about all the hard work that will be needed to repair it and enjoy the beneficial effects already showing in the garden. ::)
By the way I am still very much in love with Russellia, one of the things you mentioned that was benefiting from your rain. I managed to keep one through the winter and it has been flowering all summer much to my delight. A new one bought in May is coming on well.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »
  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
After a very late night, I woke up this morning to the sound of rain.
This is the first rain we have had here, in north east Crete, since the 18th of May.
Unfortunately, it only lasted half an hour, and now seems to be brightening up.
Still, at least it is a start.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »
The first rain of the season arrived here yesterday. Not very much but the first since a short shower in May and after a winter with about half the average annual rainfall (180mm). Let's hope the heavens are more generous this year.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
Dry at last, London!!!!!!!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
Just when i was about to throw my self out of the window...
First rain has arrived this morning after 7.5 !! months of not even one drop of water.
Nothing like the perfume of wet soil after the first rain here, beter even then Chanel 5
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
 ;D So glad we did not have to scrape you up from the pavement Oron where we would we be without your ID'S :)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »
 :D, No worries, i live on the ground floor ;)

John

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 07:40:43 AM »
But by a cliff!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alice

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 07:59:02 AM »
Comforting to hear that you have been at least as badly affected by drought as we have been over here, Oron. Especially since we hear reports of rain-saturated soil in other parts of the Mediterranean (including western Greece).
I agree that the smell of the soil after the first rains and the freshness of the foliage are among the joys of gardening in the Mediterranean.
We even got a mini tornado two days ago!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »
But by a cliff!

Yes, but not as deep as the one in East Sheen....

John

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
In the UK it is described as a hill. First proper frost due tonight!
John

Jill S

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »
Alice, did it touch down anywhere do you know?  any damage where you are? now I know that island truly has everything, just sometimes more than is desired!!
Jill
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
Jill, don't worry, the tornado was out at sea. Some friends saw it from Paroikia, then it worked its way south behind Antiparos and fizzled out.