RAIN - at last!

• 17 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: RAIN - at last!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »
There was a mini-tornado here in Cyprus last week, and not over the sea. It destroyed a few villas and uprooted trees in the nearby villages of Fyti and Milia.

We've had some good rain, too. In my newly cleared and terraced NE corner, that enabled me to 'see' and refine the slopes on my inter-terrace paths, which I designed to act as drainage guides. Several parts of the 'terraces' are still sloping. Now that's done and the main irrigation pipes are installed, I can insert cuttings (from some overdue pruning). I'll be trying prostrate rosemary on the steepest slope. Since its pioneer shoots follow the soil surface well, and it later roots well from them, I hope it will stabilize the slope well. Its gradually developing bulk of woody stems should also provide lateral strength. Next year, with a little trepidation, I plan to try sifting soil over the top gradually as it develops - to make-up the volume of soil that the storms will still wash out, and maybe build-up the bank a little. I am trepidacious because we know that the plant is susceptible to fungal dieback from the soil level creeping up on its stem. But I am hoping I might get away with it because the soil is sloping - so there won't be any water or excess dampness persisting at the stem(s). Also, the small patches of dieback I noticed earlier this year on the parent plants have disappeared; the plants are vigorous again.
...Picks up secateurs, opens back door, warm sunlight streams in, strides out, taking-in a deep breath of the fresh earthy-smelling air...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
 :( After several days of cool,windy and wet weather I awoke to a severe ground frost yesterday( thermometer reading 3 degrees.) This caught me completely unawares but fortunately my more tender subjects are close to the house, many in pots and so they did not suffer too much. Yesterday was spent taking my normal precautions, moving pots to even more protected areas and erecting my small "greenhouse" - a simple wire framed construction with a plastic covering that unzips at the front for ventilation. I reinforce the plastic with bubble wrap to the back, sides and top and usually manage to bring most things ,needing extra care , through in this.
The day was sunny and bright but cold and when I went to bed the thermometer was alreay reading 3 degrees. This morning however no repeat of the frost and the temperature had risen to 7degrees :) I suppose I should be glad that I am not gardening in the New York area and suffering the storm but the weather certainly adds to the frustrations of gardening at times
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »
We are still basking in the 20s here, with night temperatures not much below 16 degrees C.
I envy your rain, Umbrian, but not your having to rush around protecting tender plants.
I am sure your plants have not suffered much damage, as most can put up with a few hours of frost occasionally. Let us know.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.