Acacia Albida

• 2 Replies

gertrude

Acacia Albida
« on: August 26, 2012, 05:59:04 PM »
Whilst on holiday last year I obtained some seeds of Acacia Albida which I now have growing as little seedlings.  Having looked on the web to find out more about its growing conditions - I was unable to find out much about it. 
ie.  If planted outdoors, will it survive our winters in Italy - particularly after last years long cold spell, or should I grow it as a 'house plant'?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
Pete and Jan retired to le Marche, Italy 20 years ago for a quiet,  sunny life.  Gardening here was a challenge, but we now have a wonderful garden, with an eclectric selection of plants,  including many wild  flowers and orchids of which we are found of.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Acacia Albida
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
Try looking for it under the name that the taxonomists have currently given it - Faidherbia albida. This paper has some pointers on germination.
Do you really want such a quick-growing thorn tree in your garden, though  ;) ?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Acacia Albida
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »

I found some information about the growing requirements for this tree:

‘Widespread in semi-arid Africa on a wide range of soil types and in different climates, preferring dry, moist and wet midlands. It can do well on occasionally water logged land. It grows up to 2,600m in Eritrea, Tigray, Gonder, Shewa, Arsi, Hararghe, Sidamo, and Gamo-Gofa.’ (http://www.africa.upenn.edu/faminefood/category1/cat1_acacia_albida.htm)

‘Altitudinal range. Faidherbia will adapt to grow at low to medium altitudes (270 - 2700m). 
Climatic factors – Plant in areas of low to medium rainfall (250 – 1200 mm/yr). It thrives in climates characterized by long summers, or a dry season with long days. It tolerates easonal waterlogging and salinity. Mean temperatures from 18 0C to 30 0C. Habitat requirements. Few limiting factors. Will not tolerate very heavy clayey soils.’ (http://www.envirotrade.co.uk/documents/MOZ-NHA-TS-DIP-var-faidherbia.pdf)

‘This relatively drought-resistant tree makes an interesting specimen if planted in a park. It can survive occasional frost (up to 5 days per year).’ (http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantefg/faidalb.htm)

I would not think it’s  ideal as a potted indoor plant, with its 2-4 cm long thorns, very deep roots and growing to a height of 30 m, I have seen that in favourable sites annual height growth is 1- 1.5 m.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.