Envy

• 11 Replies

Daisy

Envy
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Why is it that we always want what we can't have?
In all the years I lived in England, I never, ever, planted a golden trumpet daffodil.
I didn't need to. Everywhere I looked, there they were. In neighbour's gardens, on roundabouts. Every village had them along the roadsides. Every town had them in the parks and in Cornwall where I lived, they grew wild in the hedgerows.
I only planted narcissus. Whites and creams, or white with orange centres. I loved them all and still do.
So why do I hanker for yellow or golden, trumpet daffodils?
Why last spring did I eagerly wait to see my Narcissus odorus x, more than my various Narcissus tazettas?
Is it just me????
Daisy :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:22:49 PM by oron peri »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Envy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
Daisy,

That is true, personaly i have tried to grow like one third of the flora of this planet but after a long way i decided to grow plants which are sutible for my conditions [BULBS!], its just useless and causes frustrations, Maybe we need to start a new thread that deals with the philosofical side of horticulture... ;)

Saying all that.... try to grow 'King alfred' which in partial shaded area might survive and flower year after year,
another option, and that is going to survive your conditions for sure is a mini Daff.: 'Tete A Tete'.
Good luck
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 10:32:44 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
 8) Good idea Oron. As we get older most of us get more philosphical in most areas of life I feel which is only natural I suppose. When young and full of energy and enthusiasm we are willing to try anything but gradually learn that it is better to concentrate on things that give us a degree of success and fullfilment. This is particularly true with gardening I found especially when I moved from the temperate climate of England to Italy. I had to give up the idea of growing some of my favourite plants and discover others that would succeed and give me the same kind of pleasure  because they were happy and healthy in very different climatic conditions. This gave me a lot of satisfaction and stimulation to learn about new plants and I can still enjoy seeing my old favourites when visiting family and friends in England. My appreciation of what is a beautiful garden has changed considerably and I feel that rather than inhibiting my enjoyment of growing plants the move has actually enriched  my appreciation and knowledge. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »
Continuing thoughts on being philosophical regarding gardening.......
I am much happier now about allowing self seeding plants to grow on to maturity, within reason of course as some can be a real pest. This often results in unusual combinations of colour and form that I would not have thought of. Also, a seed that germinates and grows successfully where it falls or is blown to will often make a stronger plant than one placed strategically for effect and pampered along.
This summer I noticed a young sunflower seedling in an unusual place and it is now about 8ft tall, multi headed with many flowers out at a time. Despite staking it after a particularly windy period it is still leaning at quite an angle but makes a stunning backdrop to a large pot that is front of it, the flowering "branches" forming a canopy high above the pot. Fortunately the pot is planted with yellow and orange lantana and plumbago and so the colour "scheming" is perfect. Will try to photograph it today but at the moment it is still dark - I am an early riser and a visit to the Forum is the kick start to my day :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »
I think envy can in some cases reflect a passion for collecting (which can in extreme cases become an obsessive disorder). Some men will know this from their childhood (or later) collecting stamps, coins or other items. There is often a want to 'complete a set'. That translates into plants as well, methinks. Once you have a few, say Salvias, you can end-up wanting more, then seeing as you've got most of them, you want the rest. That sort of thing. Hence if somebody you know has one of the ones you 'need', you'll be envious. I'm no psychologist; I don't know what it all means; to me it is just behaviour.

You can also be envious over knowledge - not just over possession. For instance, somebody may know the whereabouts of a rare orchid; you can be envious of that if you would like to see it. As well as that sort of general awareness, envy can apply also to technical skills such as grafting. But I think a distinction can be made. I, for instance, am useless at plastering a wall or puttying a window. But I am not envious of those who can. I admire them, because they succeed where I have tried and failed. I do not want or really need to do those things.

Back to possessions. The distinction between envy and admiration exists there, too. I can admire a huge 'Kiftsgate' rose, towering Wellingtonia, or rare Darlingtonia - perhaps even marvel in them. But I do not necessarily envy those who grow them. That may be because I know I could not do them justice, given my own circumstances - though that makes the distinction between envy and admiration a somewhat conscious choice. Or, in other cases, I may simply feel that those things are best appreciated in the wild - eg. Dodecatheons in damp forest meadows high in the Californian Sierra Nevada, Monterey pines on the rugged coast of the Big Sur, or sheets of Dimorphotheca in Namaqualand.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
I get envious of people who have better growing conditions in their gardens. Better (or more soil), more water, less howling wind.
I only want slightly less harsh conditions. Then I would be content - I think... ???
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:45:08 AM »
Now I am having to be really philosophical - I photographed the sunflower yesterday morning once the day had dawned but did not manage to get a good shot because the sun was in the wrong position. Going out with my camera late afternoon to try again I found said sunflower sprawled across a nearby path. I hauled it up, pushed the rootball back as well as possible, re-staked it and gave it a good watering. I hope it survives because there are still many buds to come out. Trouble is it is now more upright and not giving the same "canopy/umbrella" effect over the nearby pot :(
The moral of this story must be to enjoy things whilst you have them :)

Daisy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 08:33:33 AM »
Thanks Oron. That is a good idea. I will plant some King Alfred and Tete a Tete this autumn.
Umbrian. I loved your story about the sunflower. :)

I am glad that I am not the only one who has had a hankering for plants that I cannot grow.
I hope I learn wisdom sooner rather than later. ::) ::) ::)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

Re: Envy. For Oron
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
Oron, I took your advice and planted some King Alfred and a few more Tete a Tete last autumn.
They have all grown, and are flowering well.
I know that Tete a Tete will come back each year without any trouble, as I already had some.

016 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Bu only time will tell, if King Alfred will come back. No matter, I am enjoying him this year.

march 2013 009 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

march 2013 001 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

march 2013 002 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

march 2013 003 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Joanna Savage

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
Daisy does it again, excellent photos and plantsmanship. Have you ever thought of a career in advertising? Perhaps you had such? Anyway you persuaded me.
I would have said that mine is not a garden for roses, however, after seeing Daisy's roses, when I came upon roses at the supermarket for less than four euros each, I couldn't resist them. Paul's Scarlet climber has been planted to ascend a couple of cypresses which were supposed to be straight and upright but have become fluffy with all this year's snow.Korbin, which seems to be Iceberg, is all set to climb through suckering ancient fruit trees which hold a steep bank together.

John

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I've just picked up on this thread and agree that I too have all my life wanted to and tried to grow many plants that I shouldn't be able to. I had a phase of growing petiolarid Primula here in London with quite a lot of success but of course I moved on to other things and neglected them so they disappeared quite quickly. I have also had some total failures. But for many of us this is what gardening and horticulture is about.
In terms of gardening a space I always have used the philosophy that you design a planting with a sound structure of reliable plants, whether common or not. Then you can experiment and enjoy the tricky or unusual plants that may not survive in the long term in amongst them. So if they succumb to drought or cold etc. you still have a garden.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Daisy

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 04:35:28 PM »
This is for Oron Peri.
Oron, in 2012 you suggested that I try King Alfred daffodils as I had a hankering for a large trumpet golden daffodil.
Six years later.....
These are some I picked this morning.

by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23pJTA7]
by

They seem happy and flower every year. I cannot say they have increased, but I can gloat over my two little patches every year.
Thank-you.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:41:36 PM by Daisy »