Cosmos

• 8 Replies

Daisy

Cosmos
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
My Cosmos bipinnatus have been flowering since May.
Very good garden value!!!
I have had to cut them back a couple of times, as they wanted to grow right over the path.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

ritamax

Re: Cosmos
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »
Yes, fantastic value, good to see, that they tolerate heat so well. Here in Basel they thrive also well, but get aphids (brought by ants).
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

John

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
Hi Daisy, nice to see your garden again. Just a mention here that this might have changed its name to Bidens formosa.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
Thanks John, for reminding us about the other name for this familiar plant - looking so lovely in Daisy's garden. But as far as Kew is concerned, and the Kew/MoBot Plant List, Bidens formosa is still considered a synonym of Cosmos bipinnatus. Knowing taxonomists, I doubt if we've heard the final resolution yet  ;)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »
It's about as confusing as Cyclamen.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
Cosmos and Cosmos. It sounds like a firm of solicitors doesn't it?

046 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Cosmos bipinnatus and Cosmos sulphureus.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Vina

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
What a wonderfully vibrant photograph, Daisy.
Congratulations....I felt as if I were there in your garden with you.
Vina

Andrewhubb

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »
Do you plant these direct, or sow indoors and plant out later?  And when do you sow them?

I have tried lots of annuals but never had any great success - any advice gratefully received!  I have a 1500m2 plot in the Var at 300m altitude, so winters go down to -6 at times and summers can be 6 months drought.

Andrew
Architect, gardening in Berkshire and a new 1500m2 completely dry garden at 300m in the Var.  Mostly perennials grown from seed.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 07:21:19 PM »
You'll find advice on the MGS website at http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/seeds.html.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece