Annual grasses

• 5 Replies

Joanna Savage

Annual grasses
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:43:01 AM »
Each year I am confident that I have controlled the annual grasses in the garden. And here we are again, in almost  mid-October  faced with swards of annual grass. The temptation is to despair and then I become incredulous at their ability to survive. The soil  must contain half its mass or volume in annual grass seeds. If by chance a seed head has fallen last year, I swear that every single seed germinates this year. So, the best approach is to look to the long term and to think that these grasses are just the first step in the long return of the land to oak forest.

Charithea

Re: Annual grasses
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:42:53 PM »
I have somehow missed your post until this evening Joanna. What a positive outlook you have. I can just imagine your oak forest.  If we allow our weeds to grow we shall have over two meter heigh mallows, thistles and nettles. John has a photo of the garden somewhere, taken 20+ years ago. 
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
We had owned the land since 1968, built our house on it in 1988 and decided to move into it permanently in 1997. I arrived in April to get things ready while Charithea finished a teaching contract in London in the July. Obviously as it was the spring everything had grown out of all proportion, especially the weeds. The first photo is the view from our kitchen door. The whole property, around 2,600 sq m, looked the same. I attacked it with a sickle, all I had to hand until my strimmer arrived along with the rest of our possessions. I was younger and fitter then but tackling those 2m high thistles and nettles was no joke.
Apologies for the poor quality of the pictures but they are scanned from old photos.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:42:52 PM »
Thea and John, amazing courage to have tamed that lot of thistles. Do you have photos of the same views today?

John J

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »
Joanna, a couple of quick photos of the same general area taken this morning. Unfortunately looking tired and dull after a very dry winter followed by a scorchingly hot summer. It's also due for a bit of an overhaul once the temperature drops a little, still in the high 20s C. 
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »
What a difference 20 years hard labour makes.