Confirmation of identity as Quisqualis indica

• 7 Replies

John J

Confirmation of identity as Quisqualis indica
« on: October 20, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
This is not a quiz (you can relax, Alice) but a request for confirmation of the identity of a climber I saw in a garden centre (rather ambitiously called 'Q Gardens') this morning. I'm pretty sure that I know what it is, not surprisingly the staff on duty didn't, but I won't say, so as not to influence any replies.
The flowers are slender tubes and highly scented. The leaves have prominent veins, roughly heart-shaped bases and long tips.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:26:02 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

Re: Confirmation of identity
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:00:43 PM »
Quisqualis, Rangoon Creeper? But isn't that tropical?

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
Yes, Quisqualis indica.
It is  a common semi climber/climber in gardens down here, it  is not hardy,
but i have seen mature plants even in Jerusalem which is relativaly cold in winter with occasional snow.
Needs to be watered quite often.
It is highly scented and a beautiful plant.
Extremely difficult to propagate from cuttings, better taking one of its offsets during summer.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:49 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation, I was almost 100% sure that it was Quisqualis indica.
The same thought went through my head, Joanna, but then I've long ceased to be surprised by what crops up in 'garden centres' over here.
Thanks for the info, Oron. We never get snow in Kolossi though the occasional frost is not unknown. I assumed it would need plenty of water. Now we have to decide whether the fantastic scent and overall beauty of the plant is worth the expense, the watering needs and the risk involved in its survival enough to buy one!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:33:27 PM »
Do I detect a certain cheekiness, John?!
Q Gardens seem to offer temptations, even though they can't tell their Ps from their Qs...
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Confirmation of identity as Quisqualis indica
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
Re this plant being tropical, I saw it flowering in November in Lisbon Botanical Gardens. Can't imagine Lisbon getting many frosts in winter but it is not exactly tropical either :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

anita

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »
Hi, i've seen Quisqualis grown outside the subtropics but they are tricky to manage in Mediterrainean climates as they prefer dry during winter and lots of moisture (and humidity) in summer. The best example i have seen was in an old-fashioned brush roofed fernery.. which was kept pretty damp in summer.
Anita
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C

pamela

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
This has been on my list of 'must have' for years.  It is a beautiful plant..........But I fear it wont do well here.  Soil might a problem..
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar