Climbers for a hot & windy site

• 9 Replies

GillP

• Email
Climbers for a hot & windy site
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »
Any recommendations for climbers for an extremely exposed hot, windy, east facing site with grotty clay soil?  Any thoughts appreciated.  Thank you
Gardening in the Languedoc, southern France.
Nursery proprietor

pamela

Re: Climbers for a hot & windy site
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
Trachelospermum jasminoides, Bignonia ricosoleana, Hardenbergia comptoniana 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
You'll need to give the trachelospermum some summer water. We had one in a site similar to yours, but facing south-west, which thrived for years with a twice-weekly drip irrigation. But when we risked trying it without the irrigation, for a long hot summer, it died. By contrast, Jasminum officinale continues to thrive without water, in an identical site.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:00:30 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

GillP

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the ideas; Bignonia ricasoliana & Hardenbergia wouldn't be winter hardy here - needs to put up with - 10° but the Trachelospermum is a thought that I had so good to receive support for this idea, thank you.
Gardening in the Languedoc, southern France.
Nursery proprietor

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
Trachelospermum asiaticum withstands heat and wind better than the more commonly seen jasminoides but I find the scent rather overpowering and unpleasant at times as we have discussed on the Forum before. However scent is a very personal thing. ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »
The Mediterranean Garden no.62 p.43 listed wind-tolerant plants. I'm not sure if that included any climbers, but it did include Tamarix spp. - which at a pinch might be pressed into service in a similar way (and they're impossible to kill by pruning). Just a thought.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
I would certainly try Campsis spp., Parthenocissus  grows on all walls and aspects,Hedera helix "Hiberica" grows happily especially in Southern Spain.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
Tecomaria capensis is quite tough, though we do water it once a week in summer. It is evergreen in our conditions but I don't know how it will cope with severe frost. Another one that springs to mind is Campsis radicans, which I have seen doing very well in exposed gardens here, but so far we have not been successful with it. Chiltern Seeds catalogue describes it as hardy in the UK. Do make sure you shade the roots of climbers with shrubs or mulch to mimic their natural environment.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Jill S

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »
Parthenocissus can easily become too much of a good thing, and persistently so. Perhaps hot, dry and windy would keep it in check, not much else does!
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Daisy

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
My neighbour has a campsis planted on the corner of his house. This is in a wind tunnel and catches all of the northerly winds.
My neighbour doesn't live in the house and the garden has never been watered. At least, not in the last three summers, since I have been here.
It grows well and flowers profusely every year.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS