Gloriosa rothschildiana

• 2 Replies

Daisy

Gloriosa rothschildiana
« on: August 23, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

I planted a single bulb of Gloriosa rothschildiana two and a half years ago.
There has been no sign of it at all, in fact I had completely given up ever seeing it, until late this spring, when, to my delight I saw a tiny shoot.
It is not very big, but has grown and flowered at last.
Never say never.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Gloriosa rothschildiana
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
Lovely, Daisy! They hate root disturbance, which may explain why it sulked for a while.
Presumably it gets some moisture through the summer, perhaps from things you've been watering nearby?
(I am trying to grow some from seed; they germinated quite well this year, and though they have grown enough to crowd their 5-inch seed pot and cry out for transplanting, I'm not going to do that till they go dormant. They are in a very light/loose compost, which I hope will let me disentangle their roots without too much damage.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

Re: Gloriosa rothschildiana
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
Alistair, you have a lot more patience than I have. I don't know how long they would take to reach flowering size from seed, but two and a half years from a bulb, is long enough for me!
It gets watered every two weeks in summer. The same as the rest of the garden.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS