Photographing butterflies and moths

• 4 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Photographing butterflies and moths
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
I know how difficult it can be to get good close-up photos of butterflies and moths.

But at least while you are persevering, you can end up noticing interesting little facets of their behaviour - as you have done already. When watching some blues (long tailed and Lang's short-tailed especially), I am fascinated by the way they rub their hind wings together in a sort of rotating back and forth style (easier to observe than describe). Why do they do that?

Some tips:

- Take photos in late evening or early morning - your subjects will tend to be calmer then, settling down for the night or not quite ready to get up. The air can be calmer at these times, too - making focussing easier and making the insects less flitty. They can be harder to find at these times, of course.

- Stand back and watch for a while: they may have a favourite flower or perch they keep coming back to. If so, you can position yourself there and wait.
- Be mindful of your shadow on the ground/plants. A butterfly can be put to flight by movement of your shadow as much as your body.

- Use as long a working distance as possible. That is, select lenses such that the distance between the front of the lens and the subject is as long as possible. That makes it a bit easier to approach your subject close enough. That can mean more expensive lenses / lens accessories (eg. extension tubes).  And because of the greater distances, camera shake is more of a problem - so flash techniques will probably need to be employed. The macro mode on most digital compact cameras unfortunately requires you to get ridiculously close to the subject (OK for flowers and less animate subjects). And at those close ranges, an on-camera flash won't be much good because the lens will cast a shadow over the subject.

- Consider aperture. The smaller the aperture (f22 is smaller than f8, eg.), the greater the depth of field (depth in the subject that is in focus). Greater depth of field is often desirable in close-ups of insects and other invertebrates because the subjects have significant depth. You can effectively reduce that depth by positioning yourself so you are looking 'square on' to the interesting part. eg. if a moth is resting with its wings flat against a wall, move your camera so it is pointing at right angles to the wall.

- However... a smaller aperture means less light reaching the sensor/film. As a consequence, exposure time will be longer - giving more chance of blurring because of movement of the subject and/or camera shaking. It is a trade-off.

- However... With digital cameras you can select the sensitivity (with film cameras, you can't really mess with the film speed). So you can select a small aperture (good) and fast exposure time (good) if you set a high speed (often seen as an ISO number). The downside then is that at high speeds, the images become grainy/noisy.

- If you use flash, you are effectively using a fast exposure. And you can do that with a small aperture and slow film speed because at close quarters, you get a great intensity from the flash. Flash can look artificial unless done well (eg. using fill-flash techniques), and can be tricky to set-up for close-ups. So - no free lunch, but at least there are controls giving you some flexibility.

- If things conspire against you (making it too difficult to get enough of your subject in focus), consider going for a different approach - using shallow depth of field to isolate a feature of interest, eg. feathery antennae.

- Be patient and persevering, and wish for good luck!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:37:23 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Photographing butterflies and moths
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:35:51 PM »
Here are some examples, to illustrate some of the tips in my preceding post:

1. Camera at right angles to plane of wings to optimize focus. Using flash since little available light after sunset (Problepsis ocellata, olive wave moth).

2. Late evening, when butterfly more restful, camera at right angles to plane of wings to optimize focus (depth of field) (Colias crocea, clouded yellow). Note: the low sun caused a grass stem to cast a shadow across the wings - not ideal, but I couldn't move it without disturbing the butterfly.

3.  Camera at right angles to plane of wings to optimize focus (Lycaena phlaeas, small copper). Backgound out of  focus helps isolate subject from it, though in this case the subject/background colour constrast helps acheive that isolation.

4.  Camera at right angles to plane of wings to optimize focus (Pontia daplidice, Bath white). Now the subject and background are very similar in colour, so the blurring of the background is the most effective way of isolating the subject. (I could also have shaded the background to make it darker, but I have only two hands!)

5. Abandoning hope of getting most of the subject in focus, I used a shallow depth of field to draw attention to the interesting crinkledness of the edge of the wings (Polyommatus icarus, common blue).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:40:56 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

helenaviolet

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
Hello Mike,
I hope I don't need to start a new topic. You have covered this so well - thankyou for the photography tips. Your pic of Lycaea phlaeas is delightful. What a cutie! It shows how butterflies actually do have personalities.
Cheers, H:)
I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:50:52 AM »
Helena,

You're so very welcome.

Please could you post your Erigeron butterfly photo? I think folks would appreciate it, and your excellent photography deserves a bit of exposure!
Mike

helenaviolet

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
Thankyou for your encouraging compliments, Mike.
Modern technology has given us a wonderful little tool - the digital camera. For me, I trust that the manufacturer understands more about all the technical stuff than I do. I just set to auto everything and simply point and shoot. In working this way I have become familiar with the camera and what it does under certain lighting conditions. If need be I can adjust exposure and try to keep the camera steady; often with a small tripod - one of those gorilla pod thingys which you can hook over fences or sit down at ground level. Photographing butterflies is a challenge because they almost never sit still! Sometimes you can be lucky. Bright morning sunshine and no wind meant that I could closely observe a frequent visitor to my garden.

I don't know which variety of Erigeron this is but the flowers are big and butterflies love them. Also I am not sure about finding the correct identification but after searching the net, this appears to be an Australian Painted Lady - Vanessa kershawi. I have carefully cropped the photo to see the structure and detail of this lovely little creature. Also resized to 500mp for easy electronic transfer. Surprisingly the detail is still fairly clear so I am posting them both.
Cheers, H:)

I live in Central Victoria, Australia. This is very much a "Mediterranean" climate with long hot summers and cold frosty winters. Citrus grows well here. I am interested in species and cultivars of Viola which will grow in this climate.