Ile de Tatihou

• 1 Replies

John

Ile de Tatihou
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »
I visited the Ile de Tatihou about three years ago and was introduced to the head gardener (who is the only gardener) Henri Moisson. I would say that the grounds are gardened rather than that it is a garden in the sense that I think of a garden. The island is very exposed and therefor wind blasted as you will see from the specimen of Ensete ventricosum which Henri was particularly proud of. Also being maritime it has a mild climate though I believe there was some damage last winter which is not surprising. The substantial walls of the fortress allow the cultivation of a surprising range of plants. There is a small collection of cacti and other succulents. A good collection of Echiums from the Canaries and Madeira including some hybrids and an array of unusual shrubs as well as more commonly known ones. Acacia karroo comes to mind. One particular limit to what can be cultivated there is the plague of rabbits which must have been introduced for food but obviously have no predators.
There are also a series of walled "gardens" which have been planted with a range of native maritime habitats with plants from each of these habitats. This I thought was an interesting element with an educational aspect including information boards.
The island is opposite Saint-Vaas la Hougue on the Cotentin peninsular about 30 km from Cherbourg, Normandy Access is from Saint-Vaas either by boat or by amphibious vehicle.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:20:50 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

Re: Ile de Tatihou
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
Last month I re-visited the island to see how it had faired after last winter. I was somewhat surprised at how little damage there was despite it being the worst winter for many years.
Here are some of the plants that I saw.
Acacia karroo, drier parts of southern Africa, very thorny but with bright green foliage.
Aloe striatula, S Africa, this really is a hardy Aloe. This is the typical yellow form in cultivation.
Buddleja saligna, False Olive, S Africa, rather like the unrelated olive or even private.
Echium pininana, Canaries, La Palma, common in gardens on this bit of coast and not even affected in exposed gardens.
Persea americana, Avocado, central Americas, no damage and actually fruit developing well.
Solanum mauritianum (syn. S. auriculatum), S America. A pernicious weed all over the world in warm temperate climates. Very poisonous and has irritable hairs too.
A plant of Isoplexis sceptrum, Madeira that I gave Henri a couple of years ago was also doing well. Around 2 m high and had flowered well earlier.
Ficus pumila, which is common as a wall plant in the Med, was in fruit. The first time I had seen this. Large figs as big as those of the typical eating fig, Ficus carica. Unfortunately I didn’t photograph this as I suddenly had to rush to catch the last ferry off the island.
One new development was that the rabbits, which are a huge problem, had started eating the Aeoniums which they hadn't touched before!
I did suggest that Henri look into birth control bait for the rabbits as it would be a humane way of removing them permanently from the island. I assume this is possible as I have heard of it working for the grey squirrel. It should be very effective on an island where re-population shouldn't be possible unless introduced by people.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:41:25 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.