Moths

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Moths
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »
Hopefully I am posting photos of two rather beautiful moths that I have come across this year. Anyone know what they are?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Moths
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
Still have not mastered multiple photo posting! Next moth should appear below :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
The first one is a Jersey tiger moth (Euplagia quadripunctaria). It has a much wider distribution than just Jersey.

The second one is a clouded yellow butterfly (Colias crocea). It is common across across most of Europe (summer visitor in the north), N. Africa and across the Middle East as far as central Asia. There are a few similar species.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
For more photos and comments on Jersey tiger moths, Umbrian, see under subject heading "Some butterflies from Hymettus, Mount Dirfis and elsewhere".
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: More than one picture in the message
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
Carole, thanks for those lovely moth and butterfly pics!
Next time you want to put more than one photo in a message, try this: once you've chosen the first one and its file name shows at the bottom of your message, click on the blue (more attachments) words just to the right of the photo file name, then click on the Choose file button again, then browse through your photos to select the one you want, just as you did with the first photo, and add it to your message - and so on, clicking the (more attachments) words again if you want yet another.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society