Catharanthus roseus looking good now in Cyprus gardens

• 11 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Catharanthus roseus looking good now in Cyprus gardens
« on: August 19, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
I don't grow this myself, but I have seen it doing very nicely in several Cyprus gardens. Flowering is perhaps just passing its best now. Methinks I ought to get some.
I don't have a photo, but I suspect somebody else might be able to provide one...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

Re: Catharanthus roseus looking good now in Cyprus gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »
I hope this is the plant you mention.
These were in  little pots included in the place setting for  each person at the  table of a  wedding reception we attended last July.
Unfortunately the plants did not survive my "care"
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
Thanks Hilary. Yes, that's the species, though your particular ones seem to be near-white (chosen with the wedding in mind, no doubt). The ones I am seeing are pink-magenta. Thanks.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
As you say, Mike, these are a fairly common sight around the island. I've seen them growing in all sorts of weird and wonderful places, between pavement slabs, in cracks at the base of walls and so on, obviously garden escapes. They're not a plant that I've ever really taken to as regards growing them myself.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »
Thanks John.
Sounds as like they could become a nuisance, with self-seeding.
Here's a piccy.
Mike

John J

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
Talk about coincidences. Just a few days ago I said on a post that Catharanthus was not a plant that I had taken to as regards growing myself. This morning my wife did a favour for a friend and lo and behold she turned up this afternoon with a plant in a pot as a thank you gift. Do you really need 3 guesses as to what it was?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
I have used them a lot in pots on the terrace and near the entrance in Halkidiki, they are inexpensive, bright and cheerful, those that I have planted in the flower beds have never spread or become a nuisance (I should wish they would). They are still called Vinca (or rather Βίνκα), I buy them at the local market).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
 :) folks
Mike

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
One thing I really like about Catharanthus roseus, is how they always look so fresh. It is especially welcome at this time of year, late August.
I took these pictures this morning.

It is the shiny leaves and their self-cleaning habit that give them that freshness.
Compare this photo of some Impatiens walleriana just on the other side of the path. They have dull leaves.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
So true, Daisy!
And very well illustrated.
Mike

John J

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:42:08 AM »
In an earlier post I mentioned seeing these plants in some strange places but I never got around to taking any photos. Yesterday while picking up my grandson from school I saw these opposite the school gates. Naturally, as usual, I didn't have a camera with me so I had to resort to using my mobile phone. That's my excuse for the poor quality, plus having to take it rather hurridly with one eye on the traffic. Some of those mums are lethal when it comes to finding a parking space as close as possible to the school gate!!

John

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »
Daisy seeing the white one it looks incredibly like a Phlox flower. I can't remember if I ever checked but are they scented?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.