Law of the Jungle

• 7 Replies

John J

Law of the Jungle
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:33 AM »
While on my usual early-morning amble round the garden this morning I came across this, rather one-sided, struggle. The cicada was still alive and zizzing but the mantis had a good grip and there was only going to be one outcome.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Law of the Jungle
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »
Grizzly stuff, John; X-rated!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
Well spotted John.  Re mantids, I just have to post this picture posted on Facebook by my excellent-photographer friend Yiannis Christofides. The photo was taken by Hasan Baglar from N. cyprus [thanks, Oron, for correcting me on that].

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:39:54 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
Fantastic ballet performance, and a beautiful couple.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
WOW!!! I will have to teach mine to do the same!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:05 AM »
Yes, amazing! You can see more of Hasan Baglar's fantastic photos on his own website here - and another version of his extraordinary mantis dance was printed by the UK's Daily Mail last September here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Law of the Jungle - cicada
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
Going back to your mantis-cicada photo, John...
Here's a cicada still in one piece.
It was resting on the a damaged trunk of a large Jacaranda. Excellent camouflage. I wouldn't have noticed it but for the fact that I saw it flying and was able to spot where it came to rest.
That was the first time I have seen a cicada flying. It surprised me that, for a fair sized insect, it was so quiet in flight.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:21 AM »
Excellent photo, Mike. Quiet in flight in contrast to the noise they make when in full chorus! Whenever I've been away it's a sound that, along with certain colours and scents, tells me I'm back home.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)