Who is it?

• 71 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Who is it?
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
You're hot on the trail, Alice!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »
I reckon the photographers are merely different subspecies of Snapsis pictum :)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Melvyn

• Email
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »
Who is it 1..... may just be the person that commented 4 days ago that cyclamen are confusing!

Alice

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2012, 12:50:03 AM »
1. Digitalis camera
2. Smilax thebirdii
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »
Very good, Alice :)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
Well done, Melvyn, exactly right - forum member John, photographing a Cyclamen persicum in a very unexpected and almost certainly accidental site on Monte Smith, during the MGS trip to Rhodes a few years ago. The photo below shows him in the same place, again on the wrong end of the camera, during a local TV news interview about the trip, talking about his then new Kew book on The Flowers of Crete.
So who is number 2?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
No. 2 must be JTh. If the picture he has posted is anything to go by he must spend a lot of his time lying on the ground with a camera in his hand...
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
I protest, I am not a he!
Oron is a more likely guess, but I don't think that's his camera
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Definitely not Jorun! (sounds a bit similar though....)
Alisdair Aird

Alice

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
I apologize, Jorun. The tiny photo is not very clear.

No.2 Oron? Sounds similar to Jorun.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
Well done, Alice (and Jorun - I think he's changed his camera, or at least the strap!). It is Oron, shown here on that same trip, in Rhodes Town.
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
John's strap has been changed as well, and Oron has had another camera the last times I have seen him. No wonder you thought my name was a male one, Alice, it's  an Old Norse one and about 99 % of all non-Norwegians make the same mistake.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.