Crassulas

• 9 Replies

John

Crassulas
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
If only grown for it's succulent grey leaves Crassula perfoliata var. falcata is an attractive perennial but when it flowers it is stunning with huge red inflorescences. I have read that it can be shy to flower sometimes only every other year but I suspect that this is also due to cultivation. Endemic to the Cape province of South Africa it is also grown in the Med.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:33:08 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

The Cypriot

Crassulaceae
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
The Sedum Society newsletter always contains articles of interest to growers of succulents issue 99 for instance has a checklist of all x Sedeveria and stonecrops in Mallorca; issue 98 includes a checklist of all Hylotelephium species, a discussion of Petrosedum sediforme in Morocco and a review of botanic gardens in Gran Canaria; issue 97 has an article on crassulaceae in the Cevannes; and issue 96 an article exploring Lake Riva flora in North-east Italia.

More details on website http://www.cactus-mall.com/sedum also see http://cactus-mall.com/sedum/habitat/html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:51:23 PM by The Cypriot »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Crassulaceae
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
Thanks for that helpful note; we could always do with more succulents information on the forum!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

Crassula ovata
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:54 AM »
Any one wanting some greenery on their balcony this is the plant for them.
I had a huge, nicely rounded one, about 1 meter high and two meters wide.
Unfortunately it got knocked every time we lowered the awning, it being in the way.
Now it is rather ugly shape but never mind  several of its offspring are waiting to take its place.
every time a piece dropped off I would stick it in a nearby pot and it seems to be everywhere.
In the spring it makes these lovely flowers, on the south balcony, which attract lots of interesting insects
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Crassula mucosa
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:16 AM »
I have had this plant for about twenty years but it never grew.
Suddenly last year it doubled in size and I was able to give away a large clump.
Reading about it on the internet I found a site mentioning sweet smelling flowers so went to investigate and there they were more noticeable to the nose than the eyes.
MGS member

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Crassula mucosa
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »
I, too, have had this for a long time. I collected some bits that were kicking around a path in the succulent house in Duthie Park, Aberdeen (around 1982). (Well, they were only going to get walked-upon, until good for nothing.) They did well, off and on, over the years. I have never noticed any scent from it.
I managed to bring some cuttings with me when I moved to Cyprus, but they have sulked, and I have only miniscule bits left. Once upon a time, even these bits would have been rootable, but now they don't want to know :(
I'm glad yours has perked up!
(This is also known by its syn. C. lycopodioides.)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

Re: Crassulas mucosa
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »
smelling sweetly today
MGS member

John J

Re: Crassulas
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
I realise that there has been nothing on this subject for a long time but as it was started with Crassula perfoliata I thought I'd continue on it rather than start another one.
One of our plants has decided to flower this year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 08:23:19 AM »
Very nice, John.

I mentioned in my previous post on this topic how my C. lycopodioides (C. mucosa if you must) was struggling. I am very pleased to report that it has recovered and is doing well now. It seems to grow better when competing in a pot with other succulents; the pot is now very vegetatively dense, and I'd reckon there is little soil left. I have seen a similar thing with other succulents around old Cypriot houses - doing well in crowded pots.
But my ones under/near some Cupressus sempervirens are diminishing. I must move them while there is still something left to salvage!

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Trevor Australis

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
Crassula falcata is the one above with narrow green leaves (not silver-grey).
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.