"Olympic " plants

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
"Olympic " plants
« on: August 11, 2012, 07:14:51 AM »
I notice that one member has referred to "Gold medal" plants in the garden in regard to surviving extreme conditions of drought and I had been thinking of asking members to suggest their "Olympic" winners in various categories, so here goes.
The categories could be those we already use on the forum - eg Trees, shrubs, climbers etc and could be further subdivided as regards endurance, artistic merit etc......This might sound a little frivolous but in fact could be quite useful - I for one will shortly be taking over a much smaller garden and would welcome ideas for planting it with subjects that really deserve their places.  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alice

Re: "Olympic " plants
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 07:01:22 PM »
What a good idea, Umbrian.
I thought I would produce a list of my top 10 plants but others kept creeping in, so I ended up with a much longer list of plants that have done well under our conditions. I wouldn't be without any of them. A lot are good old stalwarts and not terribly exciting. The vast majority are drought-tolerant (d-t) unless otherwise stated.
Trees:
Pinus pinea - stands up exceptionally well to drought/wind, but is slow-growing
Olea europaea - a must for a Mediterranean garden
Albizia julibrissin - smallish tree, impressive in flower
Punica granatum - compact with lovely flowers and fruit
Juniperus oxycedrus - attractive needles, tough but prickly
Shrubs (large):
Nerium oleander - with a little summer watering it flowers from May to October; what more could one ask for?
Spartium junceum
Lygos (Retama) monosperma - very d-t, white flowers
Medicago arborea - long flowering season, self-seeds, but summer-deciduous
Arbutus species
Laurus nobilis
Phillyrea angustifolia - dense evergreen
Rhamnus alaternus - good for evergreen hedges
Shrubs (small):
Scabiosa cretica - pretty blue flowers followed by white seed-heads
Myrtus communis
Salvia leucantha
Teucrium fruticans
Rosmarinus officinalis
Westringia fruticosa - similar to rosemary but with a better shape
Limoniastrum monopetalum - very d-t with tough grey leaves and pink flowers, but not hugely attractive overall
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis - not d-t, but gorgeous non-the-less
Pelargonium x hortorum - good old geraniums; if in shade they cope without water
Felicia amelloides
Cneorum tricoccon - interesting little shrub
Perovskia atriplicifolia
Phlomis fruticosa
Cistus creticus/parviflorus
Euphorbia characias
Bulbs:
Cyclamen hederifolium - trouble-free, looks lovely under trees
Tulbaghia violacea - a long-flowering toughie
Groundcover:
Convolvulus sabatius - forms a dense mat with pretty blue morning glory type flowers
Succulents:
Aeonium arboreum
Climbers:
Bougainvillea spectabilis
Tecomaria capensis - easy, long flowering season

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:14:28 AM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
Alice,
I just happen to have a photo including several of your plants in one place - at Nassos Ktorides' garden at Delikipos in the middle of Cyprus.
Oleander (back L), Perovskia (back R), Tulbaghia violacea (front), pines (back, don't know if P. pinea or not)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alice

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:34:12 AM »
And very nice it looks too. Beautifully landscaped. Thanks Mike.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »
 :)Thanks Alice, an impressive list that I shall have to study when I have more time - waved goodbye to one set of visitors at 08.30 yesterday and welcomed the next at 20.30. ::)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.