Chrysanthemum/argynranthemum pruning and cuttings

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Chrysanthemum/argynranthemum pruning and cuttings
« on: July 27, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »
I confess I have not identified this plant.
I guess it is one of the Chrysanthemum/argynranthemum types; it has white petals with a yellow centre, and grey-blue-greenish leaves.

Much of the year it looks healthy, sometimes a branch will die-off. Recently, the whole plant was looking sickly, so I decided to prune some of it back, taking cuttings of the better pieces in the process.

You'll see from the photos that within the plant, new shoots were already trying to come on the old branches. I hope these will continue to develop, and do so better for having good light now my secateurs have been at work. I pruned only about 1/3rd of the plant, unsure if harder pruning might kill it.
I show how I have stripped the dead and dying leaves from the prunings and made nice little cuttings. I hope they strike, though, I have my doubts since the branches were, as I say, looking poorly. Two chances.

I wonder if anybody has comments on what I have done?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Chrysanthemum/argynranthemum pruning and cuttings
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:25 AM »
Its that black snake that worries me.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Chrysanthemum/argynranthemum pruning and cuttings
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
That little one's not a problem - some of them are tens of metres long!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England