Aptenia cordifolia - big dead patch - why?

• 4 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Aptenia cordifolia - big dead patch - why?
« on: July 28, 2012, 04:39:38 PM »
This patch of Aptenia was growing well, extending down a grassy bank, crushing the grass as it went. All of a sudden (it seems) a large part of it has died off. I have no idea why. Suggestions please.

Info: There are no dogs. There are a few small cats. The whole patch lost a lot of foliage over the cold winter, but it recovered OK - as you can see in the adjacent parts. I have not sprayed weedkiller nearby
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Aptenia cordifolia - big dead patch - why?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
The surrounding growth looks so lush that I wonder whether it's been attacked by a phytophthora root rot. As you know Aptenia hates excess moisture and is vulnerable to root rot if it's not grown hard, and the hot weather that has followed your heavy rains would have been ideal for phytophthora. I'd have a look at the roots.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:03:36 PM »
Aptenia does that here but perhaps not in such a big patch.  I find it happens when its been really dry for a long time.  I just cut out the dead pieces and it will sprout away (not in August here but next spring. It is a very tough plant.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »
thank you Alisdair and pamela
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Mike, definitely looks like fungal hyphae attacking in a line ; remarkable how straight it is.  I would have thought it more random.  I had the same problem with patches dieing-off for no apparent reason. It could be one of several damping-off diseases.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.