Natural xerophytic associations

• 11 Replies

Bolanthus

• Email
Natural xerophytic associations
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
One of the most dreadful sights for a gardener is to come up and see his/her beloved flowers dried and dead.
However, in the Mediterranean region “dry” doesn’t always mean dead, and in many occasions “dry” can turn out to be really interesting and beautiful too.
The pictures below are from natural places or from places recolonized by plants (the last ones are from an abandoned iron mine in the island of Serifos)
I think it is all about the combination of colors (a range of terracottas and grays) and the combination of textures and forms!

Ballota acetabulosa and Phlomis fruticosa (also a grass; Cerastium candidissimum -the more whitish to the left- ; Euphorbia acanthothamnos the teracotta top right)

E. acanthothamnos   (also B. acetabulosa; C. candidissimum; Aphodeline lutea to the left; Verbascum undulatum to the right, but you must scroll the bottom bar to the right to see it)

B. acetabulosa and P. fruticosa

At the center a E. dendroides

From an abandoned mine in Serifos, a place recolonized mostly by E. dendroides and B. acetabulosa

same here

and same here (please ignore my friend!)

and here the dried heads of the Phagnalon -don't they look like tiny straw beach umbrellas?  :-))
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 12:34:44 PM by Bolanthus »
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Alice

Re: Natural xerophytic associations
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:22:14 PM »
Goes to show how much we have been conditioned to see only the green and lush as beautiful!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
Can not agree more.. 3ed photo is just stuning,

Many horticulture magazines like to show gardens when compleetly frozen,
i find this state not less beautiful.
Thank's for sharing these images Aris.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:56:55 PM »
A perfect advertisement for the truly mediterranean garden - thanks very much indeed, Bolanthus/Aris!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
I`sure Olivier Fillippi would love to see these pics.  He is always saying how beautiful a mediterrnean garden is in the height of summer
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 10:52:59 PM »
Very nice.
I love tones of grey and brown, too; sometimes just browns alone - can give an almost sepia-toned effect.
My photo of Eryngium maritimum is an example. Granted, one plant can't constitute an association, but the brownish sand provides a similar effect visually).
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
You 're welcome  :) The acknowledgement of the beauty of the garrigue/phrygana –even in summer dormancy- was probably the reason why I became a MGS member

Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »
Oh, what gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing these, Bolanthus/Aris!

The more time I live in the Med, the more I love the mid/late summer season. Especially towards the end of September, when everything becomes very muted in colour, the olives very silver, the shrubs very brown or beige, the cypress and pine very dark green and the soil often that rich burnt orange. I feel like the plants are waiting, holding their breath, expectant of rain. It is so peaceful.

It is one of the things I always like to talk about with our hotel clients, this different rhythm of seasons. So many people say they find this time of year "sad" - I had colleagues who said the same about winter in England - but I find it beautiful to see plants in their natural state: sleeping, resting, gathering energy, waiting for the rain. I think we have a lot to learn from them!

Here are some photos from my garden in late summer (I think some of these were posted already as accompaniment to my TMG article, apologies for the repetition if so):
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:15:07 PM by Marilyn »
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
(By the way, the main constituents of the dry meadow pictures are Trifolium angustifolium, Lagurus ovatus and Bartsia trixago (syn. Bellardia trixago); the other photo is of Santolina chamaecyparissus.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:21:25 PM by Alisdair »
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
Lovely,Marilyn; thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
Ooh, thanks for the mod on Bellardia - had no idea. Glad you enjoyed the pics. :)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
Marilyn - Nice! And I like the subtly different palettes.
Also the first one ('seeds3.jpg') makes interesting use of flare on the lens (further to my photographic discussion with Daisy re fogging) - giving the effect of receding into the (mistier) distance
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England