"Bella di Notte"

• 9 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
"Bella di Notte"
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:02:29 AM »
A young Italian "gardening" friend gave me some seeds of what she calls "Bella di Notte" - an annual plant that gives out a wonderful perfume in the evening according to her. They have made strong plants but have not come into bloom yet but my question is  -does anyone know the botanical name?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
Re: "Bella di Notte"
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »
Probably Mirabilis jalapa, Carol.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
Yes, almost certainly M. jalapa (though it's actually a perennial it is usually grown as an annual).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
If it's a Mirabilis jalapa be very careful. They make huge plants with fleshy tubers which are impossible to eradicate and they seed abundantly where they can steal a drop of water, so usually very close to the roots of another irrigated plant. They got into one of my beds, presumably from a pot I was planting out, and are just a pest.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »
re
gives out a wonderful perfume in the evening
hence the common name four o'clock flower.
Also known as marvel of Peru.

Curiously, I have seen this species growing in a street garden in Geneva - where it can get very cold. It was such a big (and healthy) plant, it can't have started from seed that year. I suspect it was several years old and survived by retreating to its tuber each winter.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
Mirabilis jalapa is sold  as tubers in Norway, you have to treat them like gladioli and chrysanthemums and keep them inside during the winter (not that I have had much luck with them).

I have heard that they can become a nuissance here in Greece, but that has been not my experience, I should wish they were a bit more 'invasive', I suppose it's beacuse of lack of water.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
In Cyprus, I, too, have seen places where they grow well, and shed a lot of seed, yet there is no plague of offspring.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:25:31 PM »
I have to say that my experience is similar to Fleur's. These plants have got a hold in an area to the side of the house and they pop up all over. Clear them from one part and they appear in another.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
Curious dichotomy of behaviour and/or observation.
Maybe there's a factor affecting germination, or preventing persistence long enough to allow germination?
Mike

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Many thanks to all members who have replied to my original posting - at least I know the botanical name now although I must say that at the moment I prefer the rather romantic "Bella di Notte" I shall reserve judgment on the plants garden worthiness until it has flowered especially with regard to its potential thuggery! Another Italian friend screwed her face up when I told her about it and said the "perfume" was awful and overpowering whilst the donor of the seeds was in raptures over the scent. All a matter of taste of course, well not exactly "taste" ::) but you know what I mean. ;D
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.