Green shield beetles

• 4 Replies

John J

Green shield beetles
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »
While watering my okra plants this evening I realised that they had come under attack by a plague of what I believe to be Nezara viridula. Up until today they had shown no evidence of damage but now they are being systematically stripped. These creatures have appeared out of nowhere, or if they have been around I have not been aware of them. I apologise for the poor quality of the photos but the light was going and they refused to stand still.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Green shield beetles
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »
It does indeed look like a fairly young nymph of the green vegetable bug. Apparently these have a taste for lots of different plants, from veg like your okra through to citrus. The reason they've suddenly appeared is that when they first hatch they stay tucked away in close clusters where the eggs had been laid, usually hidden on the under surface of leaves - only dispersing to feed properly after their first moult.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
John, I`m not sure if the damage you are looking at is caused by a plant bugs.  Plant bugs have piercing and sucking mouthparts.  Your damage looks more like caterpillars.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
I agree David.
...or grasshoppers/katydids (I saw a big green one on citrus yesterday, perfectly camouflaged by colour)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
Still there this morning hiding under the leaves out of the sun.
Good point, David, though as there is no sign of caterpillars anywhere in the vicinity I think Mike's grasshoppers are a more likely suspect. We have an abundance of those in varying sizes and colours.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)