Epiphyte plants

• 4 Replies

Miriam

Epiphyte plants
« on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »
Epiphyte plants

The origin of these plants is South and Central America . They grow in various climatic zones -from tropical climate to arid climates, forests and deserts. They grow on other plants, rocks and cacti, but are not parasites.
They absorb water and nutrients through special pores in their leaves.

They can be placed on any surface like stones, shells, statues and trees...

These plants don't require special care in the Mediterranean climate. I grow them outside all year round. they require afternoon or morning light but not direct sun all day.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Miriam

Re: Epiphyte plants
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
Here is my Platycerium.
I have it more than 25 years and today its weight is more than 50 kg!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
Wow, Miriam, that Platycerium is amazing! In dry weather do you spray or mist them at all?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Wow indeed, Miriam!
And the smaller ones look very healthy, too.
Great topic to post about; thanks.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Miriam

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
Thanks Alisdair and Mike  :)

I water the Platycerium once a week with Distilled water (that I collect from the air-conditioner in summer) or rain in the winter.

The other Epiphytes I water once a week and also spray them twice a week in the summer.
It is recommended to add liquid fertilizer(for orchids) once a month.