Another yellow-flowered tree IDd by Fleur as Koelreuteria paniculata

• 7 Replies

JTh

• Email
Could any of you help me with the identification of another yellow-flowered tree? This  one (there were several of them) was seen outside Agia Sofia in Thessaloniki some days ago? OOne of them also had large triangular fruits (I gathered a few). The photos were taken with my mobile phone camera and it was very windy, so they are not very sharp
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:13:32 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Another yellow-flowered tree
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »
This is the lovely Koelreuteria paniculata which I photographed for the autumn colour thread here.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

Re: Another yellow-flowered tree
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
There are some very large specimens near us here in SW London in a cemetery. Though due to the lack of warmth over the last year they have failed to flower. This was mentioned on out UK branch visit to Hilliers Arboretum where a smaller specimen outside the visitor centre had failed to flower and Dave Jewell pointed this out to us.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Another yellow-flowered tree IDd by Fleur as Koelreuteria paniculata
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »
If you click on the blue Home tab, then put Koelreuteria in the search box on the right, you'll find quite a few useful references to this splendidly useful and utterly drought-tolerant tree, aptly known as the Golden Rain Tree, elsewhere in the forum.
As John says it does need a hot summer to flower well, but this is really only a problem in northern Europe, and never in mediterranean conditions. W J Bean of Bean's Trees and Shrubs said that the finest specimens he'd seen in Europe were in central France.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
Very easy to grow from seed .  Within a few years it is a small tree.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
Thank you all of you for identifying this tree,  sounds like something worth looking for.  The flowers were beautiful and the seed capsules very interesting, I hope I'll have some luck with the seeds I gathered, I'm  not quite sure they were ripe  enough.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:02 PM »
To add a bit of context...

There are just three species of Koelreuteria, identifiable by their leaves:
- evergreen  (and bipinnate) --> K. elegans
- deciduous:
  - unipinnate --> K. paniculata var. paniculata
  - commonly and largely bipinnate --> K. paniculata var. apiculata
  - consistently and fully bipinnate --> K. bipinnata

The odd/even-ness of the pinnation can also give a clue:
- K. elegans - odd pinnation (rachis ends in single leaflet)
- K. paniculata - odd or even pinnation
- K. bipinnata - even pinnation (rachis ends in pair of leaflets)

There are various ssp. and cultivars, including a fastigiate form of K. p.
Just to confirm, it looks like yours, Jorun, is indeed K. paniculata var. paniculata.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:37 PM »
Thank you, Mike. I have never seen it for sale around here, so I guess I'll try to start propagating one from seed.