Tamarix smyrnensis, and T. parviflora, IDd by John

• 14 Replies

Alice

Tamarix smyrnensis, and T. parviflora, IDd by John
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »
Does anyone know of the most likely species of Tamarix on sale in nurseries in Greece?
I include a not very detailed photo. Flowers: creamy-white; flowering time: autumn
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:35:11 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Bolanthus

• Email
Re: Tamarix id
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:33:13 PM »
The species in your photo is probably Tamarix africana -though I'm not sure.
And as far as I know, T. parviflora is the most common species on sale in Greece.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:16:14 AM by Bolanthus »
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

John

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:25:31 AM »
I would guess at T. smyrnensis.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
But are any of those mentioned flowering in the autumn?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
Yes.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 07:35:41 AM »
Maybe somebody could confirm that these pthotos taken this spring in Halkidiki are of Tamarix parviflora? Sorry,  no  closeups.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm fairly sure it is. T. parviflora has flower part in fours whereas T. smyrnensis has flower parts in fives. I would say that T. smyrnensis is also less pink and more of a dirty colour. It is often seen as quite a large tree along the back of beaches where it is planted. Of course it will have to go through a smaller size before it becomes a tree!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:06 PM »
Thank you,  John. The bushes on the photos below were quite different from the ones I see on the beach here, which people have told me are called Σμυρναίικο αλμυρίκι (which is T. smyrnensis), the colour of the flowers  of the latter are more dusty pink, but they are in bloom in the spring at the same time as T. parviflora here, I have never seen flowers in the autumn on any of them.

Alice

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »
Thank you for your input, John and Bolanthus. I was leaning more towards T. smyrnensis myself. Rather difficult to count petals, as they are so tiny. I have never seen these particular trees flower in spring, although we have some others with darker pinky-purple flowers which do. I note that Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson, in their book "Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean", state that "The species of Tamarix are often confused and are difficult to identify".
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Bolanthus

• Email
Re: Tamarix smyrnensis, and T. parviflora, IDd by John
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »
Oh, I had it wrong from the beginning and though that T. africana is indigenous to Greece  :-X   That's what happens when you take for granted something you just heard once.
Yes it is more probable to be Τ. smyrnensis after all  :)  Unless someone had in mind to plant specificaly a T. africana there and knew where to get it...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:14:18 PM by Bolanthus »
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »
The only ones I've seen for sale here are T. smyrnensis (the one I tried to plant here died). I am slightly confused, all my books say that they are spring flowering, and I have never seen any flowers at other times of the year here. If they flower in the autumn, does it mean that they flower twice a year, or do they sometimes have flowers in the spring and other years in the autumn?

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
Below is small a segment from Flora Europaea on Tamarix  (before describing the species one by one)
"The recemes may be vernal (produced early in the season, from the woody stems) or aestival (produced later on the growth of the current year). Recent work has shown that this distinction has not the taxonomic value which was formerly attributed to it, as the behavior of many species varies according to the climate."

Later on however, it doesn’t refer to the flowering time of T. smyrnensis. The only thing that may be informative in this book is that it says "similar to 8 (=T. ramosissima) but racemes somewhat thicker and naked at the base ...etc.", and the later species flowers  mainly in the summer according to the same authors.

well, just to give some more info (though it doesn't answer the question)!
Aris Zografidis

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:47 AM »
I note that Marjorie Blamey and Christopher Grey-Wilson, in their book "Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean", state that "The species of Tamarix are often confused and are difficult to identify".

It is even worse than that... Tamarix tend to hybridize easily, therefor almost impossible to tell 100%.
Down here we have 13 species + a couple more introduced for horticalture and so you can immagin the confusion... :-\
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
Here's a picture of T. smyrnensis taken many years ago which is in our book "Flowers of Crete". This tree was flowering in October which is the typical time for those I have seen and it is often a multi-trunked tree.
John

Alice

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
This certainly looks like "my" tree, John. Multi-trunked with dirty-white flowers in October. Having said that, it occurred to me that I am never in my Mediterranean garden in Feb-March, so if it also flowered at that time I would have missed it.