Containers

• 1 Replies

John

Containers
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
After years of not coping with bind weed and now Tropaeolum ciliatum we have cleared one side of the garden to try and knock the weed problems. Rather than have no garden we have planted up containers and this one has really taken off. Sorry but definitely not water saving. The Begonia Million Kisses series comes in a range of colours and this Amour is a vibrant red with bronzed leaves. They get their pendulous habit from one of the original parents B. boliviensis. Fuchsia 'Thalia' is an old cultivar derived from the species F. triphylla.
I usually go for more subtle colours than this but it makes a change!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

Re: Containers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:22 AM »
Here's another of the HOT pots that we made this year and is just taking off now. Cordyline 'Electric Pink' is a new cultivar which is indeed vibrant and the leaves on this specimen are long at about 90 cm. Salvia splendens comes in a wide range of colours and though they are often not labelled or incorrectly so I don't have a name for this series. It is a shame that almost of this this species is only available as dwarf seed strains and the elegant specie type is hard to get. S. splendens 'Van Houttei' being a rare exception. The grey leaf is Helichrysum parvifolium (syn. H. microphyllum) or Plecostachys serpyllifolia.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:32:05 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.