Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Please id this tree for me
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:59 AM »
Pamela, it is one of the many cultivars and hybrids of pink Robinia difficult to give a name fromthis photo.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:42:18 AM by Alisdair »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
And thanks again!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
Looks like 'Casque Rouge'?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

Yes, I think your right, Alisdair
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;

John

This might be as well? Taken in central Italy 3 years ago.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Didn't we see robinias like this planted as street trees in Limassol? I wonder if selected cultivars of Robinia would be less likely to self seed around the place - not that my one stunted specimen of the common Robinia pseudoacacia  even flowers much let alone self-seeding. I have a feeling that they are planted in Greece at the edge of new mountain roads as fast growers to stabilise the soil. I can't think why else they would be introduced.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:03:21 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

Fleur, I can't bring to mind any areas of Limassol where Robinias are used as street trees, especially the pink varieties as they tend to be fairly uncommon here. Robinia pseudoacacia are used by the Forestry Dept as pioneer trees to stabilise slopes in their reforestation of the Amiandos asbestos mines. They do sucker freely as is evident from an abandoned field about 100 m from our front gate. The original tree, however it got there, has created quite a small copse around itself.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)