Mandevilla laxa

• 4 Replies

Daisy

Mandevilla laxa
« on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
My Mandevilla laxa is flowering at last. ;D ;D ;D
Last year it grew a lot, but no flowers.
I chose this one, because it is deciduous. It is on the arbour near the bathroom window and I thought that an evergreen one would shade the bathroom, in winter too much.
Plants can be contrary though. Last winter it didn't drop it's leaves until February!!! :o :o :o
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Mandevilla laxa
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
We had this growing round a post outside the kitchen.  It was never spectacular but provided summer interest and scented flowers along with Trachelospermum jasminoides. Should we start a new thread for perfumed plants Alisdair?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Scented plants
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
David, at Carole's suggestion we started a thread on Scented plants in the Miscellaneous section, some time ago - well worth looking at, you can click straight through by clicking on the words Scented plants in the first line of this message.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

GillP

• Email
Re: Mandevilla laxa
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:04:24 PM »
Ours flowered more prolifically than ever before this year, not sure if it is  because it is beconing more mature or if it is a response to a particularly hard winter.  Great plant tho, and one which deserves to be better known.
Gardening in the Languedoc, southern France.
Nursery proprietor