Thalia dealbata

• 6 Replies

John

Thalia dealbata
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
This is quite a distinct aquatic plant which will also grow in bog conditions. It is quite tropical looking and is in the virtually exclusively tropical family the Marantaceae.It hails from the southern parts of North America including the USA. I have seen this plant on numerous occasions in Normandy, France where it seems to be quite hardy though it isn't a plant that could be called very hardy. It will need quite a bit of space and grows to about 2 m high. It should be quite happy in the Mediterranean but I cannot recall having seen it there myself.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Thalia dealbata
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »
We use Thalia here in our ponds and also it is very decorative in big containers fieled with water.
Climet seems to be very good for it, it dries out  in winter but comes back in Spring.
As you mentioned it should be limited to a small area.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:20:21 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Chantal

Re: Thalia dealbata and Aponogeton distachyos
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
I purchased Thalia dealbata in 2008 and it thrives in my patio in a big "zinc" container. It looks very tropical and I love it.
There is another wonderful water plant that I bought in South Africa perhaps 20 years ago : Aponogeton distachyos. This corm thrived and colonised the small brook which was running through my garden close to Paris area. I never saw it in any french nursery and nobody knows it here. Indeed it is hardy, at least in northern France, flowers in autumn and spring, has a divine scent of vanilla and It followed me of course when I moved to Montpellier.
See here for separate discussion about the Aponogeton.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:00:47 PM by Alisdair »
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
My husband has built me a raised pond in my new garden. It is not yet finished, but being very impatient, I ordered and received some pond plants back in the winter.
When they arrived, they had to be planted straight away, so I put them in the half finished pond.
The Aponogeton distachyos I put right at the front of the raised pond, so that I could smell it easily.
 When it flowered, I leaned over to smell it, slipped on the rough unmade up path, and ended up with my whole head under water!!!! :-[ :-[ :-[
It seems to have got over that, as it has grown and flowered beautifully since then. Now that it is July and hot however, it has gone into it's high summer minimalist mode.

I haven't yet got Thalia dealbata, but I grew it in Cornwall, where it was evergreen, even when the pond froze.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John J

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
It was interesting to drop on this info about Thalia as a few weeks ago I came across it for the first time here in Cyprus. It was in a family-run, back-garden-type establishment. I thought I'd try it out and bought a clump. It's obviously too early to judge how it will perform but I'll keep an eye on it with even more interest now.
John J
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Here it does very well. It used to grow in a "marshy" planter by one of our fountains, now it has moved and can be found in the planter right across. Seems to be very happy, and becomes quite big. It is not a thug  like some giant aroids that we grow in the faountains - actually there are many in its original planter that overwhelmed it. I suppose this is why the original plant in its first location disappeared and it has reappeared where there was less competition.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

HansA

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 01:46:15 PM »
Here a pic I took yesterday - it grows for several years in a small bassin together with Equisetum.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect