Pallenis spinosa

• 7 Replies

Bolanthus

• Email
Pallenis spinosa
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:32:12 PM »
Wild flowers are the "magical pool" and gardeners first pick out the desired "golden fishes" from this pool. Perhaps some of you would find interesting this thorny annual of the daisy family!

Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Pallenis spinosa
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:14:29 PM »
Super pictures, Bolanthus!
By the way, the Kew taxonomists now reckon that Pallenis spinosa is a synonym of Asteriscus spinosus.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Yes, I rather like these wildflowers. I had a patch of them come up in our proto-cucumber patch this spring, where I found they made delightful uninvited guests. I had to tell them to push off eventually, as they didn't know when to leave the party -- the new owners were in need of being planted. With a bit of luck, they'll drop by next year, too.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
Super pictures, Bolanthus!
By the way, the Kew taxonomists now reckon that Pallenis spinosa is a synonym of Asteriscus spinosus.

Thanks Alisdair, I didn't know that :) ...but again what is the problem with the taxonomists?!? They keep moving them arround to razzle dazzle us! There are many cases of species having a dozen or so synonyms. Just to give an example the case of galactites http://data.gbif.org/species/3137579/
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
I used to admire the flowers of this plant and wondered why it was never offered by nurserymen.  It does have vicious spines and would not be suitable for many gardens.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
I used to admire the flowers of this plant and wondered why it was never offered by nurserymen.  It does have vicious spines and would not be suitable for many gardens.

Yes indeed, the green bracts are topped by a hard thorn. This decorative star-like arrangement of the bracts remains on the plant even when it is completely dried out in the summer.
Aris Zografidis

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »
I'm surprised to learn that this is an annual/ biennial. Mine just seem to come up every year in the same place.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
I'm surprised to learn that this is an annual/ biennial. Mine just seem to come up every year in the same place.

Probably it is reluctant to let its offspring leave the family. Just like a typical Greek family 
Aris Zografidis