Capers (Capparis)

• 39 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Capers (Capparis)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
I only had one which I would top and tail with secateurs during the winter.  Early spring would seem to be a sensible time which would allow new regrowth to cover pruning cuts.  If your plant is really big and many of them are when hanging over walls simply cut them back with hedge clippers.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alice

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »
I have bought caper plants on Paros, Jorun. See if you can find any small nurseries in your area that have an interest in indigenous plants. I think they are springing up since more and more people are asking for native plants.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
Many thanks for the flurry of replies, it would appear that, once established (the difficult bit),  capers are quite resilient and not too fussy about when they are pruned/tidied up which is good to know. :) I would hate to kill it off during my first year of ownership  ::)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
Won't you post some 'before' photos of your new garden, Carole? I really enjoy seeing before and after views, although not like poor Daisy's mealybug ones!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29:48 AM »
Will do Fleur, did my first stint in the garden yesterday and the soil is to die for after what I have been contending with, black crumbly and an absolute joy to work with, very exciting :) Thought I might do a kind of "diary" of my progress on the Forum?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »
Excellent idea. I wish I'd photographed the progress of my pond and its surrounding beds now.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Capparis mitchellii
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:55:01 PM »
In the Waite Arboretum, Adelaide, we saw this native caper which as you can see from the group of people in the background of the second picture is actually a sizeable tree, from the outback.
We saw one or two common (or caper) white butterflies (Belenois java teutonia) already exploring it, arriving after migration from N Australia; it's the food plant of their caterpillars.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
That's interesting Alisdair. I missed seeing our native caper; I was at home prepping for our home-hosted dinner for our o/seas MGS guests while the arboretum tour was held. I do grow three plants of the culinary caper. They are planted in Long Tom type pots with the merest suggestion of potting mix and lots of scoria pebbles plus a quantity of manufactured terracotta 'pebbles' which were at one time favoured by orchid growers. They are slowly getting established but we are a way off any harvest yet. In the rain-shadow area E of the Mt Lofty Ranges dry-land farmers have diversified into commercial caper cropping and several successful businesses have been established in the last 10 yrs. (I imagine they are more in demand than JoJoba berries which were supposed to be a great crop 25yrs ago.)  tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

lizr

• Email
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
Further to Trevor's comment about commercial caper growers in Australia and earlier queries about pruning, this grower has some interesting remarks about cultivation: http://www.caperplants.com/Growing%20in%20Australia.htm
I thought it was interesting that they cut them right down in winter.  I have several plants in a coastal garden and have never done this so I shall try it this coming winter.   
Liz Runciman
Adelaide, South Australia

Sandra

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 08:12:53 PM »
Many thanks for the flurry of replies, it would appear that, once established (the difficult bit),  capers are quite resilient and not too fussy about when they are pruned/tidied up which is good to know. :) I would hate to kill it off during my first year of ownership  ::)

I've only just come across this thread and can confirm that in my experience mature capers are tough. I am lucky enough to have three in my Greek garden (all self seeded) and I just cut back as and when to keep them within bounds. I aim to do this in winter but pruning later in the year has not been detrimental. I noticed a new baby caper growing near by biggest specimen when I was last there and I would like to transplant it - any tips anyone?
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

yvesans

• Email
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I have tried to transplant a few times with no luck, they seed here too but always in the wrong places!
Active gardener all year round in Cyprus, nature always wins!

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »
Great plant, but also a great challenge to get it established. I have grown them from seed but germination rates are thin. Fresh seed from a local plant seems to be easiest.

We have just cut our caper back to a low skeleton of branches and the new shoots come through from the base of the old wood. Perhaps this is why the cuttings of the thicker stems work, I have rooted cuttings this way but not managed to bring them through the summer.

Keep trying, our local agriculture station has germinated a good number of capers from their own plant and we hope to have some for sale at the Conference weekend. Getting anything to grow from seed is so exciting, well worth having a go if you have local plants.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
Has anyone tried sowing really fresh, green seed? Possibly harvested before the pods are ready to split? Could be worth a try to avoid the low rate of germination of the dry brown seed.  tn.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 04:33:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I can source caper plants in Greece?
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

Sandra

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
Sorry, no idea where you can get them Janet but if you'd like fresh seed I'm happy to send you some later in the year. Just send me your details.
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.