Underplanting

• 7 Replies

babkalinda

• Email
Underplanting
« on: June 24, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
I have now cut back all the acanthus in this bed which divides two driveways. It now looks rather bare. Any suggestions as to what I could plant, not necessarily now, that would come up after the acanthus have died back? Would summer flowering bulbs work?
Amateur gardener in 8 strem olive grove on Lefkada Island, Greece. MGS member.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Underplanting
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
This is a bit of a problem because if you start irrigating the bed for summer flowering plants or bulbs then the Acanthus might steal the water and stay green as they do in the north. I see you have something planted in the far corner, though I can’t tell what it is, but anyway my suggestion for accompaniment to acanthus would be a little tree for summer interest - acanthus is perfectly happy in shade. If you don’t want too much height then you could train a shrub into a tree. My first thoughts would be: a small variety of pomegranate, Caesalpinia gilliesii, Yucca elephantipes with its lower trunk exposed or even a single-stem Nerium oleander, but with a single flower because the scented double types droop terribly. None of them need water after the initial settling in year or so.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:45:45 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »
Very nice ideas coming from Fleur. I will just add to the suggestions the caper bush (Capparis spinosa) if you would also like  to go for a bush/creeper.  Caper would be dormant until mid-spring when acanthus would be full bloomed, and it would gain ground in the summer, when acanthus disappears . In the winter its Caper's turn to die back, when Acanthus starts to grow, so the two plants have rather complementary cycles. And the caper bush wouldn't need a drop of water either.
This is just an idea of mine... I haven't seen in in any garden yet (But I am also new in this so there are many many gardens for me to see) :)
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:35 PM »
Bolanthus,

This is an interesting option, accept that  i dont envy the gardener that would have to remove out the dry leaves of the Acanthus  :-\ ;)
By the way most capparis are very difficult to germinate and transplant later on...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:05:25 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
Oron, when I visited Sparoza a few weeks ago Sally and Miyon were just finishing clearing away all the leaves of the many acanthus plants in the garden. It took them a morning but it was clearly worth the effort. Perhaps Acanthus is only suitable for disciplined gardeners since keeping the seedlings under control is also a lot of work.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:18:17 AM »
Bolanthus's capers idea, and Oron's comment on trying to germinate them, started quite a discussion of capers more generally. I've now split that off into the Trees and Shrubs section as a new capers topic.
So thanks, Bolanthus and Oron!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

babkalinda

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks for all your advice. I'll try the small trees ideas while I get to grips with the capers which I love. I've always had in mind to get some going in the natural rock face at the end of the swimming pool, they would look so beautiful. There are some plants hereabouts, high up in the castle rock walls! I'll look for some lower down so I can try for some cuttings later in the year. And yes, it doesn't take long to clear the dried up acanthus leaves, a pair of gloves helps!
Amateur gardener in 8 strem olive grove on Lefkada Island, Greece. MGS member.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
This is a bit of a problem because if you start irrigating the bed for summer flowering plants or bulbs then the Acanthus might steal the water and stay green as they do in the north. I see you have something planted in the far corner, though I can’t tell what it is, but anyway my suggestion for accompaniment to acanthus would be a little tree for summer interest - acanthus is perfectly happy in shade. If you don’t want too much height then you could train a shrub into a tree. My first thoughts would be: a small variety of pomegranate, Caesalpinia gilliesii, Yucca elephantipes with its lower trunk exposed or even a single-stem Nerium oleander, but with a single flower because the scented double types droop terribly. None of them need water after the initial settling in year or so.

Might I suggest Myrtle (Myrtus communis) as another small tree/shrub that can be grown as a small standard.
We have discussed it here.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England