Sparoza

• 14 Replies
Sparoza
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
A few years ago, I was spending some days in the Peloponnese, and found a very exciting book named : "Making a garden on a Greek hillside". One of the reasons I kept on reading Mrs Tyrwhitt's book again and again (and happily acquired it through her current publisher) is that our garden in the Peloponnese has many similarities with the one described in detail by Mrs Tyrwhitt. They both face a 6-month drought during summer, a hillside facing south, a thin topsoil with rocky sub-soil underneath.

The next step was planning a visit to this little Heaven. The occasion came during my last stay in Athens, last May 2012. After a few phone calls, I spent the whole morning with Mrs Sally Razelou, the founding member and first MGS* President, who now is the custodian of the garden and who has tremendously improved and extended it since she came to live in this estate in 1992. A very very nice moment, spent sharing her experiment and her constant advice about setting up a garden scheme and gardening with lack of water.
I wish I had such gardening lessons when I was studying in Versailles !

I would like to express my gratitude to Mrs Razelou for this visit. Not only because drought-tolerant plants are gorgeous, but also, even in Paris or London, because we now have to employ waterwise methods to help gardens thrive all-year-long, in a long-term approach of sustainable gardening.

More to read : see my botanical blog
http://jardinscosmopolites.blogspot.fr/2012/06/mediterranean-oasis-close-to-athens.html

Have a great evening
Gabriel, a landscape designer passionate about sustainable gardening
MGS member, between Paris and my Nafplio garden...

Blog : www.jardinscosmopolites.com
FB : www.facebook.com/ateliergabriel

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Sparoza
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »
Lovely to read your appreciation of Sparoza and tribute to Sally. Sparoza is a very special place and Sally a wonderful curator, the MGS should be proud to have this flourishing example of sustainable gardening, showing just what can be achieved with careful choice of plants and loving care and attention. :) The book too that led you to Sparoza is a mine of information and should be compulsory reading for all of us trying to garden in Mediterranean climates!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
Thank you very much Umbrian for your warm and quick response. Have a great day.
Gabriel
MGS member, between Paris and my Nafplio garden...

Blog : www.jardinscosmopolites.com
FB : www.facebook.com/ateliergabriel

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:27 PM »
SPAROZA is a garden which, I think you all know, is not normally open but there are several occasions during the year when it can be visited by all and sundry meaning members, friends and relatives.

After many years my husband and I went back to Sparoza on a seed and plant exchange day on a very sunny day in October. We were joined by our son A, daughter in law P and baby grandson, all enjoyed the various sections of the garden and sitting in the sun admiring the plants and scenery.

Here are a few photos to whet your appetite.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »
I have visited Sparoza on numerous occasions over the 20 years that I have been a member of the MGS. During the 3 years that I was lucky enough to serve as Vice President of the Society I attended Admin Committee meetings in Athens at least 3 times a year and was fortunate to have been able to call in at Sparoza each time. This provided an opportunity to not only see how the garden was progressing but also to pay my respects to the delightful Sally Razelou, the custodian.
So thanks for posting these reminders, Hilary. It prompted me to look out some photos from 2006 when I took a group of members from Cyprus to visit Athens and, most importantly, Sparoza.
The first 2 photos are mine the others are credited to Rob Thompson.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
Having the opportunity to visit the MGS garden at Sparoza is one of the major benefits of membership of the society. Sally Razelou is committed  to giving a personal tour to all her visitors and she gets great pleasure from meeting fellow plant enthusiasts. We do quite often get requests to see the garden from non-members who are passing though Greece, but they are mostly refused because Sally's time is precious - she is still doing most of the work in the garden.
Members wishing to visit should contact Sparozavisits@gmail.com at least a week in advance.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »
John J,
So glad I prompted you to post some of your and Rob Thompson's photos of the garden at Sparoza. the irises look lovely on the hillside.
I thought you would comment on the mosaic.
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
Fleur,
I thought the blurb about garden visits was in the front of the journal but other information is there.
I knew someone would post the information for me.
Thanks
MGS member

John J

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
Actually, Hilary, I was leaving comments on the mosaic to my wife as she was the one who made it and presented it to Sally to mark the 20th Anniversary of the MGS. However, she is currently rather busy on a different project. The village is trying to raise funds to create a garden next to the main church on land that has been neglected for many years. She has recruited several of the villagers, both male and female, to get together at every opportunity to make items to act as prizes in a raffle. Much of the material and expertise has been donated by whoever can be persuaded to do so. They are making mosaics, mirrors with decorative frames of metalwork and/or coloured glass, table lamps with coloured glass shades, even a small table inlaid with mosaics I believe, and who knows what else. I have already been informed that my contribution will be to take photos of the finished products for advertising purposes and then I will be co-opted to assist in the creation of the garden once the money has been raised.   
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:57:09 AM »
So pleased to see Sparoza featuring on the forum again. For me it illustrates the principles of the MGS perfectly  and the shared photographs bring back happy memories of my visits - so, many thanks to Sally and her band of helpers who so selflessly care for this gem.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:15:40 AM »
Photos of some flowers in the 'terraces' at Sparoza. The snaps were taken during the 'Plant and Seed Exchange ' day in October. It was a hot, still,  sunny day but every time I tried to take a photo a slight breeze came along to hinder the effort.
Dianthus taiwanensis
Salvia leucantha
Oxalis purpurea
All nicely labelled, what joy!
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »
A couple more plants flowering in the 'terraces' at Sparoza in October
Bulbine frutescens
Chrysanthemoides incana
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 06:39:10 AM »
Agave victoriae - reginae growing in the cactus terrace at Sparoza
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
Epiphyllum oxypetallum
All members and guests must have seen this cactus growing on the sunny south facing verandah at Sparoza

It can be found in the plant list of Sparoza

http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/plantlist.html
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:44 AM »
Oxalis triangularis
This  plant was  in a pot under some trees at Sparoza.
Today,after having the usual fun of trying to identify the plant a few days ago,  I discovered that it is in the list of plants growing in the terraces.
I should have consulted the list from the beginning.

http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/plantlist.html
MGS member