A wider choice of roses

• 6 Replies

Trevor Australis

A wider choice of roses
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »
Looking back through older entries I see that roses have - expectedly - had a run, but the suggestions seemed pretty much based on Hybrid Tea roses, Floribunda types and a few others such as Tea roses. I find the species are excellent - well most of them, as are the China roses, Hybrid China's. Has anybody experience of how these kinds do in the Med region? I would not include roses such as the Rugosa group which come from fairly cool, damp places around the northern Pacific rim, or the Wichuriana group but certainly the Moyesii roses all grow very well for me in quite harsh conditions and self seed too, which produces some attractive and amusing hybrids. I also get much pleasure from the Spinossissima group and the wild yellow roses akin to them.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

ritamax

Re: A wider choice of roses
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
That is interesting! How are your conditions? Any chance to download some photos?
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »
How about the noisettes and tea noisettes?
I don't have much space, so can only grow a few of them.
Madam Alfred Carriere, Aimee Vibert, Sombreuil and Blush Noisette all do well in my garden.

Madame Alfred Carriere, still young, but doing well.

Aimee Vibert.

Sombreuil.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
I agree that Aimée Vibert is a wonderful rose: practically thornless, with lovely spring flowers then tremendous trusses of flowers in autumn. It is a very strong grower and perhaps at its best climbing into a big tree. We have had it covering one wall of a tall pigéonnier in SW France for many years, cutting it back severely each year, and now have a young plant doing well in southern Greece. It grows well as a sprawling shrub too.

I'd put in a strong plea for growing roses on their own roots, rather than as grafted plants. They always seem healthier, and it avoids the problem of dog-rose suckers. Rose cuttings take easily.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »
Teas and Noisettes have a role to play but, of copurse, many are rather large growing plants - even when pruned. A smaller growing Noisette is CREPUSCULE with delightful apricot flowers. Among Teas I have Dr GRILL, SOUV de U'N AMI, MRS B R CANT, several foundlings from local churchyards and cemeteries, SAFRANO, GRACE DARLING, NOELLA NABONNAND, ISABELLA SPRUNT (what a name!!!!) LE VESUVE, MAMAM COCHET, POPPA GONTIER, JEAN DUCHER, HOMERE, RUBENS, DUCHESSE de BRABANT, IRENE WATTS, MME LAMBARD, MONS TILLIER and MME CHARLES. All do very well given that I do not water them at all; most grow up to 4m tall, some even higher, while others spread 3m wide depending on their individal characteristics. I will post some pics later - I've almost completed pruning them ready for the MGS meeting here in October.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »
We're really looking forward to seeing your roses, Trevor!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
That's a great list of roses! It's a pity, that there is no chance for me going to the meeting in Australia.
My experience with roses in Switzerland is, that they get easily sunburn and unfortunately also fungal diseases (as it is a very difficult climate here with sun, rain, föhn wind, temperatures going up and down), but that must be due to the hybrids they sell here, probably more suited to North Germany, where many come from. In Spain I haven't tried anything, yet. I would have to mix the compost for them very carefully, as the soil in Costa Blanca as it is is unsuitable for roses.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise