back to the tropics

• 3 Replies

GRJoe

• Email
back to the tropics
« on: June 17, 2012, 04:28:29 AM »
Greetings to all MGS members,
Not much of a Mediterranean country, DR Congo (ex-Zaire) is a magic place and a very very green one. I am going back there for work, and I will continue discovering in my spare time the amazing world of tropical plants. Of particular interest is Kisantu botanic garden in Kinshasaa... I will try to spot any Mediterranean "vestiges" and share with MGS forum.
Enjoy summer and keep gardening  :)!
Regards,
Joe
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: back to the tropics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Good luck Joe,
We are looking forward to your report! ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:56:26 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
I have had a few trips (IT consultancy) to Gabon the last couple of years, and have kept my eyes open for things to try in my med. garden. As yet, I have not seen anything convincing, but there is of course lots to see. Unfortunately, the areas are (so they tell me) blanket sprayed against mozzies, and the insecticide kills many other insects - so I have seen few butterflies (Libreville and Port Gentil). But colleagues who work in the jungle report some amazing creatures, moths especially.
So, good luck Joe!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

ritamax

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
Good luck, Joe, sounds like an adventure! (I'm very curious to know, what sort of work are you doing there? You don't certainly have to answer that!)
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise