Lagunaria patersonii (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)

• 5 Replies

John J

Lagunaria patersonii (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »
I returned to find my Lagunaria in full bloom. This tough Aussie gets little or no supplementary irrigation yet never shows any sign of distress, pest or disease damage. Also known as the Cow Itch Tree due to the seed pods containing masses of irritating little 'hairs' it should not be placed near to sitting areas or where it can be brushed against.
One of our members here says he remembers its name by linking it to Les Patterson!! Maybe I should leave it to one of our Australian friends to explain the Dame Edna, Barry Humphries connection?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:23:55 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Lagunaria patersonia (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
That's nice, John.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Trevor Australis

Re: Lagunaria patersonia (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
Deference where deferenced is due. It is Sir Les Paterson, if you don't mind. He is well known in Oz for his beery, slobbering, drooling, boorish. lecherous behaviour; and for his being a stauch Royalist and card carrying members of the RSL - Returned Servicemen's League. Oh, and hsi trouser fly is frequently un-buttoned, though whether deliberalety so I dare not say. Let's keep things nice - please
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

Re: Lagunaria patersonii (Norfolk Island Hibiscus)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
Summer time again and even Sir Les Paterson has spruced himself up and is looking quite smart.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 12:14:26 AM »
 ;D The SIR LES connection is that he is one of Barry Humphries more irritating characters and so has a strong link to the ITCHY COW tree.

M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

John J

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 05:48:46 AM »
The view from the window as I sit at my computer.