NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 2

• 15 Replies

John

NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 2
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
Another guess what this is. Easier than the first but species as well please! Again no prizes and actually unlikely to ever be any!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:56:39 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Chantal

Re: Guess what this is 2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:44:25 AM »
Dear John,

I am puzzled, but the picture is a little bit fuzzy.
At a first glance, I would say a close-up of the small spindle people are making in Provence with lavender stems to put in drawers. They weaved the stems in a fancy way and you can buy them in shops.
But I know it is not this, and I am waiting for an answer too........
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

John

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
Chantal, I can assure you that the picture though extremely small is quite in focus! I suppose it could even be a table cloth!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »
Clue please: can you tell us what month you took the picture?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
John I think its an anther but of................what  David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:21 PM »
To Alisdair, I could but I won't! Not yet at any rate.
To David, no not an anther.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:32 PM »
A Fritillaria or a Cochicum?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »
Sorry, should have written Colchicum
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
Yes correct but as I originally said I thought it was quite easy so I also want the species! Please!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »
First try: C macrophyllum, if not that, C. agrippinum?

John

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
I suppose you are just going to go through them all aren't you? No not yet, but C. x agrippinum is very close.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
C. variegatum?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
Congratulations, you may take Helena out for a meal!
Yes it is Colchicum variegatum.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
And nothing for me?

John

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »
No, sorry you were too slow, unless Alisdair will take you out as well!
John