Parkinsonia aculeata

• 8 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Parkinsonia aculeata
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:15:37 AM »
New to me in the flesh
27may12 - Eleouthkia botanic park, Mandria, Cyprus
(The labelling in the park leaves a lot to be desired; if anybody disagrees with this being P. aculeata, speak up!)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Parkinsonia aculeata
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 11:39:20 AM »
It is Parkinsonia aculeata and i suggest you to destroy it while you still can, before it invades every slightly humid habitat on Cyprus! :o
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:31:14 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
Parkinsonia is very polite in Attica. I've seen very few escapees and they've all been single.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »
The Parkinsonia that I've seen in Cyprus are equally polite. I've even seen it used as a street tree in some areas of Limassol. Apparently it only occurs here at altitudes below around 200m.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »
ooh - thanks for comments, folks;
one never quite knows how people are going to react!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »
Well, you are lucky!
In this part of the world  things often get out of control...
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
Considered highly invasive on Mediterranean coast and Canary islands, but also in the USA, Australia, Africa, Pacific islands. Needs practically no water and reseeds easily.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
We tried a few that I had grown from seed in our hot dry garden on the coast of southern Greece. None survived the long dry summer (they were not watered). It does seem to need at least a bit of summer moisture to be any danger at all in at least the hotter parts of coastal Greece.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »
It seems to be the same with all the other plants as well, even the most drought-resistant. When established, there is no danger, but one has to water the young plants first year or even 3 years. To exchange experience on this issue is very valuable in this forum!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise