Mahonia

• 11 Replies

Willem-Jan

• Email
Mahonia
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
For my garden in Italy I am looking for a variety of the mahonia shrub, which - in the future - will become a large group. Can someone help me out with the name of a variety which will grow this high? Thanks in advance!
Willem-Jan Kuiper, Le Marche

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Mahonia
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
Willem-Jan,

Mahonia x media 'Charity' is a good option.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Willem-Jan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
Thank you for the advice, Oron!

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
I assumed, when I first came to Greece, that Mahonia would do well. In truth the one I've planted here in Attica survives, just, in the shade of a tree but without showing signs of enjoying life. In the cooler, wetter climate of the village it does better but still it doesn't 'fill the eye' like the Cotinus or the Lagerstroemia next to it. I don't think we've mentioned Lagerstroemia indica on the Forum but it is a wonderful shrub for summer flowering in moderately good soil. The crinkly flowers come in a range of colours from purple, pink to white.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Willem-Jan

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Fleur. I am planning the mahonia, in semi shade, under a couple of pine trees and I assume that in the middle of Italy and close to the Sibillini range, conditions are less severe than yours. But I will keep your alternative in mind, as I am not going to plant out before the fall.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
The conversation about Lagerstroemia has been moved to that subject title.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Trevor Australis

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:02:29 AM »
Does anyone one grow Mahonia burmaensis (????) that William Waterfield grows in his garden on the French Riviera?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »
I think William Waterfield's splendid Mahonia is Mahonia lomariifolia. This grows well in other Riviera gardens, but I don't think it would be so happy in more extreme Mediterranean areas. it was originally introduced to cultivation in Europe from seeds from Burma (Myanmar) grown by Lawrence Johnston at Serre de la Madone, near Menton, and I think I saw plants of it still growing there too.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »
It seems that Mahonia lomariifolia is now a synonym for Mahonia oiwakensis!
There are some lovely ones from warmer climes that may do well for you. M. trifoliolata (not certain about the spelling) has some beautiful grey blue leaf forms and should really suit a Med climate but with a different habit to the above.
M. moranensis from Mexico is a glossy green and so far has done well here in London in a very dry spot.
More are coming into cultivation from both Asia and the Americas.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 11:54:10 PM »
M lomarifolia does very well for me, tho' in our dryish conditions, and under big tall trees, it is not lush. It flowers well and has grown in that spot for at least 25 yrs. I also grew from seed a delightful smaller shrubby M. fremontii which comes from California. It has delicate but tough silver leaves and brown wiry stems. It has never flowered but has grown well. It, too, is about 25 yrs old. I like it well enough with the flowers but it would be exciting to see them, especially if the flowering co-incided with that of M. lomarifolia nearby. Imagine the potential hybrids.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:12:01 AM »
Quite right John, correct name is indeed Mahonia oiwakensis now - and news to me; thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
There were several Mahonia bushes growing in the gardens of the El Pardo Royal Palace outside of Madrid.
We also saw several growing in shade near  the Madrid  University area.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care