Growing climbers up a palm tree

• 3 Replies

Sally

• Email
Growing climbers up a palm tree
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »
Is it possible to grow a climbing plant up a palm tree?  I have a tall date palm tree in my garden and I am considering using it to support a kiwi plant but am not sure if this is a good idea or not?  Any suggestions please?

Caroline

Re: Growing climbers up a palm tree
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
Definitely not a good idea to grow a kiwifruit up a palm tree. It gets out of control very quickly, and is a nightmare to prune at height.  I'm passing on the hard-won experience of my sister-in-law.  In fact I would hesitate to grow anything up a palm tree - causes more problems than it solves...  :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

pamela

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 11:48:55 AM »
Dear Sally
I grow a beautiful Stephanotis floribunda into a Phoenix sylvestris.  It now looks wonderful but has taken about 10 years (I live in Spain, Costa Blanca) to look fabulous.  I do agree it is hard to prune the leaves as the dead fronds and seed heads need to be cut away carefully. But it can be done!  This year it has bloomed twice which was a bonus!   I think if you choose the climber with care it can be successful. Best wishes
Pamela
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

psroseguy

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:29:26 AM »
Here in California's low desert it's not unusual to find old and established specimens of Dolichandra unguis-cati growing unaided up the trunks of quite tall Washingtonia palms.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:04:38 AM by psroseguy »
Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.