Alliums

• 54 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Allium
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
Alisdair - Allium heldreichii - that's a cracking photo!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Thanks, Mike - not such an interesting plant as those Oron's just shown us, but at least as pretty!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

fragman

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »
After a rainy winter spring is booming, near Ashdod in coastal Israel there are carpets of Allium tel-avivense, as u can see, our dog Lily enjoys them as well :)
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

Ina

• Email
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
the alliums are nice but the dog is nicer!!!
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

John

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
Probably smells nicer too!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 11:35:51 AM »
For forum photos of some other Allium species, click on their names below:
Allium feinbergii (bulbs)
Allium libani
Allium nevadense
Allium tuberosum
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
A sweet-smelling Allium
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
By no means all onions and garlics smell "oniony" - as John knows well! These plants of Allium flavum var. minus, flowering in a pot under glass in the UK, have a really sweet fragrance. It's a pretty little plant; the seeds I grew these from came from Mt Olympus in Greece (via Gothenburg Bot Garden), and the variety is also found in Turkey, while small forms of A. flavum crop up elsewhere in southern Europe; the yellow colouring is rather variable, and I think some good colour forms may have been selected. The flowers in my pot range from 10 to 20 cm high.
A distinctive feature is that the stems and often leaves look blue-green, at least when they first show - the colour is actually a dense powder, which rubs away easily.
My plants are grown under a more or less Mediterranean regime, but get water later into summer than they would at low altitudes around the Med - I dare not plant them out in our hot dry Greek garden.
Alisdair Aird

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
The flowers may smell sweet, but if you bruise the leaves don't you get the telltale pong? That's how it is with Allium roseum.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:13:07 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
I was thinking that too!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
I did mean to crush and sniff when I went down to the greenhouse just now, but it's pouring with rain here (as usual) and by the time I'd fed the pigs in their utterly muddy and treacherously slippery pen (we share them with a neighbour) I clean - though that's hardly the right word - forgot! Will try and remember tomorrow.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
Alliums
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »
Though not all alliums suit the mediterranean climate we have a few that do well.
In flower now are a few colour forms of Allium flavum ssp tauricum.
The type form is yellow;
A range of peach and pinky colours were raised and distributed by Mark McDonough in the USA. Another NARGS member, Louise Parsons, donated seed of these selections to the NARGS Seedex and I raised a few different colours from these. I'll be ordering more from this year's Seedex to see if I can get more variety!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
Re: Alliums 2016
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
This tiny allium was grown from seed from the 2005 AGS Seedex - wild collected (?in France?).
It is Allium chamaemoly and we grow it in a pot as it would be swamped in the garden!
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Alliums
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 08:11:56 AM »
What an extraordinary little thing, Fermi!
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
Re: Alliums
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 12:04:02 PM »
What an extraordinary little thing, Fermi!
Quite different to the next one to flower: Allium neapolitanum
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Allium neapolitanum
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 09:31:04 AM »
How ruthless do you have to be with the seedlings, Fermi? In our unwatered Greek garden it's very quick to seed itself profusely if we give it half a chance (not that we mind, as it's such a cheerful little thing!).
Alisdair Aird