Oleander fungus

• 18 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Oleander fungus
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Where is Nigel , there are 3 or 4 questions outstanding??
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:18 PM »
Jorun - re smoke...
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your academic credentials.
I find many reports of problems with Oleander smoke. Some of them are spurious, true. But some seem legitimate, eg.
"...inhalation of oleander smoke or ingestion of oleander can result in toxicity to humans or animals and potentially lead to death (Langford & Boor, 1995)." referring to
Langford, L. D., & Boor, P. J. (1996).  'Oleander toxicity: an examination of human and animal toxic exposures' Toxicology, 109, 1-13.
[ http://chemweb.calpoly.edu/cbailey/377/PapersW08/HollyM/home.html ]
--and--
"Toxicity issues of smoke from the Anacardiaceae family and the Oleander are discussed..."
FIRE TECHNOLOGY, Volume 36, Number 3 (2000), 163-183, DOI: 10.1023/A:1015462710856
'Fire and Pesticides, A Review and Analysis of Recent Work'
[ http://www.springerlink.com/content/a80dbrxr8bvyd0cb/ ]
--and--
"The smoke from burning oleanders is especially toxic. Earlier this year, a fire occurred in a Phoenix neighborhood and the fire department called for an evacuation of the area until the fire was under control, all because of the burning oleander."
[ http://waterwhendry.blogspot.com/2007/08/nerium-oleander-vulnerable-after-all.html ]
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

june grindley

Re: Oleander disease - does fertiliser help?
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
Dear All,
Some of my white oleanders are also suffering like yours Mike, particularly after the long summer with no rain. I suspect they have the disease which seems to be around here in Provence. Does any one know if giving them some fertiliser would help now the rains are coming?

Thanks also to the forum members for confirming my suspicion that only double flowered Oleanders are perfumed.

John

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »
Having just seen this I think that both the Nerium and the Myoporum are just stressed. The Nerium is probably short of sufficient moisture. I have seen similar stress in plants in the wild in NE Crete growing in seasonally dry gullies and stunted to less than 1 meter high.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.