Papaver rhoeas

• 36 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Papaver rhoeas
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 12:39:35 AM »
I have tried several times to grow poppies from seed. Repeated failures; which simply has to be impossible given that they grow in the cracks in the walls and pavements as well as the park around my house.

This year I decided that next year I am going to have the perennials that I have been successful with over the last few years as the spine of my little garden. Then spring annuals to provide early colour and that I don't need to worry about except to be sure to collect seed.

To this end I am trying early autumn sowing with, amongst others, poppies. So far success with Papaver rhoeas 'Amazing Grey', Papaver somniferum 'Hungarian Blue' and Eschscholzia californica. I posted about Papaver rhoeas 'Amazing Grey' almost a year ago to the day. Not one of those seeds germinated in a spring sowing. Thank goodness I tried autumn sowing this year.

Now all I need to do is build myself the cold frame I've been promising myself since summer.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »
I wish you success with your poppy seeds
Yesterday I finished the autumn tidying up of the balconies and sowed all the seeds which Chantal so kindly sent me.
Then it started raining in the middle of the night , about time .

I am sure there is an article in an issue of the journal about the necessity of sowing annual in autumn in Greece  but , in haste, I have not found it
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
To this end I am trying early autumn sowing with, amongst others, poppies. So far success with Papaver rhoeas 'Amazing Grey', Papaver somniferum 'Hungarian Blue' and Eschscholzia californica. I posted about Papaver rhoeas 'Amazing Grey' almost a year ago to the day. Not one of those seeds germinated in a spring sowing. Thank goodness I tried autumn sowing this year.
Hi David,
a friend ordered some 'Amazing Grey' seeds from the UK so I now have some to sow this autumn!
In the meanwhile here are some more of the new season's poppies
Papaver rhoeas pure white
Papaver rhoeas orange, pale centre
Papaver rhoeas grey
Papaver rhoeas grey with red centre
Papaver rhoeas stripey grey-red
glossy red Flanders Poppy
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2020, 11:54:10 AM »
Papaver rhoeas grey, red centre
Papaver rhoeas stripey red and white
Papaver rhoeas grey
Papaver rhoeas stripey orange and white
Papaver rhoeas grey with red edge
Papaver rhoeas red with central white cross - like 'American Legion'
cheers
fermi

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
Amazing variety of colours, all very beautiful and exciting to see what will be revealed next 😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 02:58:30 AM »
Amazing variety of colours, all very beautiful and exciting to see what will be revealed next 😊
Yes, it is exciting to see what new combination comes up!
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 08:00:44 AM »
A single orange poppy with a pale edge
cheers
fermi