Papaver rhoeas

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Papaver rhoeas
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:46:31 AM »
Papaver rhoeas, the commomn red poppy, is particularly prolific this year in my part of Italy with fields and roadside verges ablaze making any trip out a real pleasure. I leave a lot on the garden too in many areas and yesterday noticed the one in the photo below. The petals are a very pale pink with a slightly darker area at the base . Is this just a common aberration?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 17 years

JTh

Re: Papaver rhoeas
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:12 PM »
Are you sure it is not Papaver dubium? They are normally red or white, but occasionally they  have pale pink petals (with or without a dark patch at the base).
Veterinary surgeon by training with a phD in parasitology, worked as virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS and Branch website editor. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Papaver rhoeas
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »
Definitely Papaver rhoeas JTh and daily inspection of plant has revealed it is suffering from some kind of distress! Subsequent flowers have been distorted/failed to open properly/had half red, half colourless petals etc. The first one was so perfect and unusual that I really thought it was something different. C
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 17 years

Fermi

• Email
Re: Papaver rhoeas 2016
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
We tried a couple of different varieties of field poppy this year:
American Legion, bright red with a white cross in the centre;
Mother-of-Pearl,pale colours, these are white and grey ones,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!