Tragopogon porrifolius

• 15 Replies
Tragopogon porrifolius
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:22 AM »
Hello all MGS members.
This is my very first post, since I have joined the MGS Greece last couple of weeks and joined the forum yesterday night... I am very happy to join this fabulous group.
I had heard of it when I first saw Jacqueline Tyrwhitt's book in my family in law's house, in Greece. Then I contacted Denise Harvey who published the book to visit Sparoza garden, which I did in early May.

I currently have a garden in Nafplio (Peloponnese), not irrigated at all except with the grey water when we spend some time there, but I am spending most of my time in France, where I currently design gardens, before building and maintaining them, after studies at Ecole du Paysage de Versailles.

This first post is dedicated to an Asteraceae that likes to invade the garden in Greece, though being beautiful when the sun hits the pappus.
As I have not been able to insert a file in this post, I am leaving a link to my blog's article http://jardinscosmopolites.blogspot.fr/2012/05/typical-flower-of-greek-hillsides-wild.html

This sery has been taken during the same day, except the first one, 2 or 3 days earlier.

Have a good day
Gabriel

PS : I finally could find the "insert file" option !
MGS member, between Paris and my Nafplio garden...

Blog : www.jardinscosmopolites.com
FB : www.facebook.com/ateliergabriel

John J

Re: Tragopogon porrifolius
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
Amazing photos, Gabriel! Can I say welcome to the forum on behalf of the Cyprus members.
As you say this plant is very attractive but those seeds from the large 'dandelion clock' get everywhere and it pops up in the most unexpected places, usually where you don't want it!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:24:31 AM »
Thank you John for your quick response and you nice message.
I agree, this is the "beauty and the beast" flower, always where we do'nt expect or want it... However.
A big hello to Cyprus and talk to you soon.
Gabriel

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »
Welcome Gabriel,
Good to have you with us!
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
Thank you very much for your warm welcome !

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Hello and welcome Gabriel.
I wish you many happy and fruitful postings here!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
Thank you very much Mike.
Such a warm welcome from everyone !
Gabriel

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
I saw this annual this year, now thanks to this post I know its name. Here it is... what is left of it from between Carpobroutos spp. By the way, its the only specimen I spotted on the sea side (Glyfada-Athens) where I had plenty of time this year to walk around. Not particularly invasive in this area.
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
I was surprised to find Tragopogon under annuals because the plant is so difficult to pull up that I had assumed it was a perennial - as you'll understand my garden is full of them. So I looked it up and learnt that the immoveable root is edible under the name of salsify. I suppose if times get really hard....

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:40:40 PM by oron peri »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
I saw this annual this year, now thanks to this post I know its name. Here it is... what is left of it from between Carpobroutos spp. By the way, its the only specimen I spotted on the sea side (Glyfada-Athens) where I had plenty of time this year to walk around. Not particularly invasive in this area.

Joe

Your plant is definatly not a Tragopogon but an Allium that lost its head, [from section Allium.]

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
I was surprised to find Tragopogon under annuals because the plant is so difficult to pull up that I had assumed it was a perennial - as you'll understand my garden is full of them. So I looked it up and learnt that the immoveable root is edible under the name of salsify. I suppose if times get really hard....

Fleur you are right, Tragopogon are either Biennials or Perennials.

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
The fact that it is biennial and/or perrenial is good news to me: I can hope to spot it again another time when it flowers. I am sure I saw one there it must be very near the allium then... just one. Cheers, j
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
... and we'll move this posting over to the Perennials section
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »
Dear Oron, tell me this time I've got the right suspect  8)

If so, what to do with a few seeds I collected?... conserve them and sow next spring?
Joe Breidi

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Joe,
Bingo! ;)
Just keep them in a dry place, [not in a plastic bag].
Sow the seeds mid october, they germinate very easy after just a few days. it will flower in the second spring.