Levisticum officinale (lovage)

• 2 Replies

ritamax

Levisticum officinale (lovage)
« on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Do you know how does Levisticum officinale do in the Med? I have it in Basel on my roof terrace, it is a very healthy structural plant, fully hardy, comes always back, grows over 2 meters high every year, gives masses of nice tasting green for cooking (especially good in soups, but in small amounts can be used in salads, too).  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:45:25 AM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Levisticum officinale (lovage)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
Lovage is grown as a herb in Mediterranean countries as well as in the rest of Europe. But it's generally grown in the cooler places (in Italy, where it's important as an ingredient in balsamic vinegar, one of its names is "mountain celery"). If you do try it you should plant it where it gets at least some shade, in a soil which can retain moisture, and it will need watering in the dry season: once a fortnight might do in mild areas, probably more often in the hotter drier areas.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

Re: Levisticum officinale (lovage)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
Thanks a lot, I didn't know that about balsamico! It is called Maggikraut here, because it resembles the taste of Maggi seasoning, but is not ingredient of it. It needs some moisture, I can see that, but I don't water it much here and it can take a lot of sun, too.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise