Acca sellowiana

• 15 Replies

John J

Acca sellowiana
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »
Acca sellowiana, syn. Feijoa sellowiana (Pineapple guava).
Evergreen shrub that is drought tolerant, salt tolerant, takes pruning, produces beautiful flowers whose fleshy petals are edible (they have a sweet taste) and edible fruit. I grew my bushes from seed about 14 years ago and have seen no sign of either pests or diseases in that time. What more could anyone ask of a plant?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Acca sellowiana
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:25:45 AM »
I agree.  It also has attractive grey foliage which stands out in winter and makes and excellent foil for other brightly coloured flowers. 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:01:28 PM »
John - nice - new to me - thanks
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

tree with pink flowers
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »
I came across this very small weak looking tree today  planted in a pavement in Corinth.
It was a very windy day and the tree was not supported at all and looked very delicate.
It was probably planted by the house owner rather than the town council parks department
The only tree I can find anything vaguely like it is Rose Myrtle
Have you any ideas?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: tree with pink flowers
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Ahem!
JohnJ posted about this plant just a couple of days ago -
http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=815.0
...Acca sellowiana, syn. Feijoa sellowiana (Pineapple guava).
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Hilary

Re: tree with pink flowers
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »
Mike
Many thanks.
I had read the post but must not have been concentrating
Hilary
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
More of John J's pictures of the pineapple guava (and other true guavas) can be seen by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
This plant hasn't featured for a couple of years and due to its fantastic versatility I think that's a shame so here are photos taken this morning of this year's early flowers.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Guava chutney recipe
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »
I recently posted one of John's Acca sellowiana pictures on the MGS Facebook page. Members in Australia and NZ said they were bottling theirs at the moment (it's grown very widely in NZ for fruit). Caroline Forsyth in New Zealand kindly posted her own recipe for a delicious-sounding date and guava chutney recipe. You can find it here:

https://www.facebook.com/mediterraneangardensociety/photos/a.625834137452587.1073741827.624911254211542/852397078129624/?type=1&comment_id=854371364598862
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:47:51 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 05:55:57 AM »
I wonder if Caroline has a recipe for Kiwi chutney,  if there is such a thing
MGS member

Caroline

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »
I consult my trusty "Pickle and Chutney Cookbook", which has recipes for Kiwifruit chutney (includes bananas and crystallised ginger), and Kiwifruit and Apple Chutney.  I can't vouch for either of the recipes, as I haven't tried them, but I've never made anything nasty from this book. Let me know if you would like me to post either or both of the recipes.  :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Hilary

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
Kiwi and Apple  chutney please
MGS member

Joanna Savage

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »
Both please, i often miss bananas and ginger.

Caroline

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:11 AM »
I have posted both recipes under "fruit and vegetables" in order to help Alasdair to maintain some semblance of order. ;).  Let me know how you get on in due course.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »
Caroline, you're brilliant - thanks so much!
Alisdair Aird