Strelitzia

• 3 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Strelitzia
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »
Hans, You imply here that you try not to water your Strelitzia. We do give ours quite a lot of water in summer, and get good flowers in winter, but really too much leaf growth. It is on a hot south-facing slope so I'm reluctant to let it dry right out. Do you think we should?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:07:57 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

Re: Strelitzia reginae
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:41:11 PM »
Strelitzia reginae likes water during the warm season. Although a drought resistant plant, with good waterings it clumps and grows so much better. Under frost free conditions in full sun, it flowers during 10 months.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Strelitzia reginae
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
Thanks for that advice, Alberto; we'll keep it on the irrigation.
Our single clump is now so very large and dense that I think we are going to have to divide it and replant - but that will be such a formidable task that at the moment it's on my Put Off Until Forever list.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Strelitzia juncea
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
At London's Chelsea Show this year the splendid exhibit staged by the Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden of South Africa includes a plant of the less commonly seen species Strelitzia juncea - its rush-like leaves perhaps an even more "architectural" foil for the flowers than in the usual Strelitzia reginae.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:16:09 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird